Author Topic: Fitting forend to 10 gauge possible ?  (Read 962 times)

Offline 10gaugeMS^_^

• Trade Count: (0)
Fitting forend to 10 gauge possible ?
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:26:24 PM »
I want to buy a h&r 10 ga 30" barrel but i hate the forearms but love the schnable style onbes one the 12 ga and varmit guns .Found a webiste that sells them unfished for .915 barrel diameter. was wonder if it would be possible to sand it or file it to fit the 10 ga barrel and would there be enought would left for a forearm . dont need mush wood i guess just to hold the thing together.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/NEF-stocks/NEF-Schnable-forend.htm

45$ This will make or brake me wanting a h&r 10 ga . i really want this setup and then down the road a high flyer choke for water fowl
In theory its sound ",but in practice its flawed

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Fitting forend to 10 gauge possible ?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:42:07 AM »
After looking at the unfinished forearm I believe it is something that could be done very well....<><....:)  
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 10gaugeMS^_^

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:58:53 PM »
yeah thanks for the hope lol. I been wanting to do this for awhile probably if i do this try a blonde finish . use it for goose or ducks . or anything that runs in front or fly in front of the barrel

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:22:56 AM »
Are you just buying a barrel or a whole gun

10 ga use a different receiver
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:36:55 AM »
I did this with the a synthetic camo stock so it would fit a 20ga barrel. I found a piece of pipe that was the same diamiter as the barrel. Wrapped 80 grit sand paper around it and held it in place at both ends with zip ties. then just sanded the channel until it fit the way I wanted it to. I'm about to do a schnable for my 20ga USH. I like the looks of the schnable fore ends so much better. Good luck and lets see some picks when you are done.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline 10gaugeMS^_^

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:54:40 AM »
whole gun . 10 ga uses sb2 frame that forearm should fit the gun beside you could just use the metal bracket for the original forarm to fit on this one if thats all that is different

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:13:52 AM »
The 10ga uses an SB2 shotgun frame, not the same as an SB2 rifle frame, only 10ga and 12ga Ultra Slug Hunter barrels will fit the SB2 shotgun frame properly, they're 1.2" in diameter at the chamber swell compared to 1.1" for all other barrels, the SB2 shotgun frame has a larger opening to accomodate the larger barrel. The forend spacer is the same for all modern H&R/NEF single shots, plastic, not metal unless someone has replaced it aftermarket.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 10gaugeMS^_^

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »
do you think with some minor fitting it would fit ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »
If MSP Ret thinks it will work, it should, but there's quite a difference between the 10ga forend and standard forend in width, it's just a matter of having enough material to have something on each side of the barrel when you're done hogging out the barrel channel. I don't have a 10ga barrel and forend to compare, just a 12ga USH which has a huge, wide forend in comparison to a standard shotgun forend. ;)

Tim

Offline 10gaugeMS^_^

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
i was looking at the buffalo classic 45 colt forend http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/buffalo.asp also like the straight stock
Would the stock fit the 10 gauge? and how long is the forend ? i noticed the one on the 45/70 is longer than the 45 colt is alsmost twice as long which is not what i want . figured i could just buy the part number for the stock set of the bc45 colt . the on off the link i posted for 45$ said it was 10' long would this be the long scnahble or the short one / also the only time ive seen the long one is on the 45/70 buffola classic but all others is short ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 03:41:05 PM »
Forend lengths are in the FAQs and Help sticky.

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »
A couple of quick measurements in the gunlocker show me that the wood on my Buff Classic forearm is 11 1/8" long. The wood on a standard schnable forearm is 8" long. As the forearm lengthens it also tapers so there is not enough available to open up a Buff Classic forearm for a 10 gauge barrel, as an aside it barely fits my 20 gauge Ultra Slug barrel. There SHOULD be enough on a standard 8" long schnable forearm to open it up for a 10 guage while at the 10" length you mentioned it would become very thin and almost a sharp edge of wood if opened up to the 1.2" spoken of earlier. Depending on the barrel taper and individual forearm, I think an 8" schnable is doable for a 10 gauge, a long 11 1/8" Buff Classic is out, and a 10" .45 LC classic schnable is on the edge of being doable or not. I would be willing to try it if you wanted to contact me in a PM and we could work it out. Or just grab a hold, take a tight grip on your tools and try it yourself. I highly suggest the standard 8" length schnable forearm. Just about any H&R/NEF pistol grip stock can be made into a straight grip stock as well, I have reconfigured many for guys here. Good luck and have fun....<><....:)  
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 10gaugeMS^_^

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
I got the part number for the smaller style forend end for the 45 lc from h&r. that link i posted i think they make their own forends . im going to email them and see .

Offline stringofpoloponies

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 04:38:30 AM »
i really wish there were more options for the 10 guage and 12 ush forearms. cant understand why they dont make a synthetic version with nice stipling grips.