Author Topic: Why do singleshots always have barrel/frame gaps?  (Read 572 times)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
Why do singleshots always have barrel/frame gaps?
« on: July 18, 2010, 06:01:16 AM »
Went to a yard sale. They had a 12 gauge 32" full Winchester 370, well used, for $100. Big gap. Not really loose though. Passed.

Went to my local fun store. They had a 12 gauge 28" mod H&R 158. Looked new. I like the weight and hammer of 158's. Action was tight, trigger with heavy, felt like it had never been shot. Red recoil pad looked like it was just made. Got it home, took it apart and put it back together. It wiggles. Staring at my 100 watt bulb, it has a gap. Annoying.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Why do singleshots always have barrel/frame gaps?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 06:29:33 AM »
Wreck,

Lots of reasons, soft lug, someone switched a barrel, hot loads (centerfire problem usually), no lube on the pivot wearing away the lug, Factory guy who originally fitted the barrel had his bowling league the night before ;).  Latch engagement, extractor/ejector position, dirt/oil on the receiver face or latch shelf can also be an issue.  Part of owning a Handi I suppose.  When I shoot at the range I hold up the gun to the light after loading a cartridge and check for the gap.  I ain't the best at glueing shims in place.

When removing metal to fit a barrel that will not close all the way it takes very little removal to get lockup or worst go past lock up.  Wear or setback of the lug pivot of only .001 or .002 can easily open up a visible gap.  Get a centerfire bottlenecked case Handi that has a great lockup and shoot a upper end load and then check for a gap before you open it up.  There will be one.  Nature of the best.

Guy at the hardware store wants to know why I keep buying feeler gages. ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Why do singleshots always have barrel/frame gaps?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »
Unfortunately there has to be some clearance for the break action to function and still maintain proper headspacing.