Author Topic: LH hand semi auto guns for carry  (Read 1009 times)

Offline bigleo18

• Trade Count: (0)
LH hand semi auto guns for carry
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
I would like to know who make a hand gun with lh controls and if you use a sig how do you work the RH safety and slide lock thanks.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
Re: LH hand semi auto guns for carry
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 11:59:34 AM »
I currently carry a Glock 22/27 and have no issues with them.  The slide lock on the Glock is manipulated by reaching over the slide with the right thumb to lock the slide to the rear.  The slide is closed during an emergency reload using the sling shot technique (gross motor skill) versus using the slide lock (fine motor skill).  I used to carry a Sig and manipulated the decock lever with my trigger finger, the slide lock was manipulated the same as with the Glock.  Once again I had no issues at all with the Sig.  Years ago I worked for an agency that allowed the carry of "1911" style semi automatics, I had an ambi thumb safety on mine and manipulated the slide lock with the same as with the others.  On all these weapons I manipulate the mag release with the trigger finger.  Most all "modern" semi autos are fairly ambidextrious obviously some to a greater extent than others.  If you have the option of choosing which you carry then handle/shoot as many as you can and decide what works for you.  If your agency chooses for you then hope it is something that will work and like I said all the common duty weapons today will work fine for a lefty.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »
I would like to know who make a hand gun with lh controls and if you use a sig how do you work the RH safety and slide lock thanks.

CZ makes a few handguns with ambi controls.  There are a lot of 1911s out there that have ambidextrous controls, and those that don't are easily convertible.  Ruger semi-autos have ambidextrous safeties and decockers.

Depending on layout, I find that the safety is the only thing on a lot of guns that gives me any trouble as a lefty.  An ambidextrous safety is obviously ideal, and a right-hand only safety can create some issues.

The location of the slide stop/release on 1911 style pistols (as well as the CZ pistols) is actually fairly lefty friendly and can easily be manipulated with the trigger finger (unlike the Sig, haven't found a good way to manipulate the slide release on a Sig left-handed).  The magazine release can be manipulated with the trigger finger, though I find it more comfortable to use the middle finger for this task.

Offline LHS

• Jesus Reigns!
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:39:06 AM »
My carry gun is a Smith & Wesson M&P. I used to have 2 XD's (40 & 45), but I sold them and bought M&P's.
They are lefty friendly and still okay for the righty wife to shoot.

I just got used to the mag release rather than switch it.
Giving Thanks To God Both in Plenty and in Want!

Offline Big Nasty

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 04:01:23 AM »
I have two M&P .40's, they are left friendly and you can change the mag release in about two seconds. The first one is a full size that I carry on duty, and the second is a compact that is my CCW.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 07:19:09 AM »
H&K P7