Author Topic: H&R 1905 Double Action  (Read 889 times)

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
H&R 1905 Double Action
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:27:07 PM »
I have been working on a neat little project for the last few months. The grandfather(his name is George) of a very close friend of mine recently asked if I could help with a gun he had. He had acquired it many years ago, and it did not work. He tinkered with it and was unable to get it to function correctly. Later he gave it to a family member(a gun nut and amateur gunsmith) who took it apart, and never did anything else with it. George was unhappy about it, but never pressed the subject with the family member. The family member dies a couple of years ago, and George received the gun back in a box, completely disassembled and missing parts. He asked if I could do anything with it, or if I knew someone who could. I told him I would take a look, but I had no gaurantees that it could be repaired. I have spent some time searching for the missing parts, and have almost got it completed now. Hopefully the rest of the needed parts will be here soon. I am tickled I could complete the gun for my friend. George has been somewhat of a surrogate grandfather to me, and being able to return something he was missing for a number of years makes me happy.

I had the gun checked out by a gunsmith friend who has declared it safe to shoot. Although he reccommended only the lightest loads. I am working on some light loads to send to George with the gun. He will most likely never shoot it, but I want him to be able to if he wants.

The lockup is not super tight, although it will still function. I am still waiting on a trigger return spring I will have to fit, and I need a new cylinder pin as the one on it has the end broken off. But I did test fire a couple of rounds just to make sure it worked. I have been working on this for almost a year now, and will be sad to see it go once it is completed. But I will be happy to see it returned to its owner in the working condition he has never had it in. Not sure how long ago he got it, but I know it has been a while. Such a neat little gun. Tiny, but with a 4-1/2" barrel. It is almost too small to fire in my large mitts as you can see in the picture. The gun and finish is still in very good condition, despite the number of years without much care.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: H&R 1905 Double Action
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 03:41:48 AM »
That's pretty cool.
I hope for your buddy that it all works out.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member