Author Topic: need a new scope, which one ?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline tangob5

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: need a new scope, which one ?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 07:35:25 AM »
Just messing around in the gun shop the other day and one of the guys was contemplating a scope for his new .308.  He really wanted a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 but he only had about $300. to spend.  The first thing I told him was to wait and save up the money to get what he wants.  Then we started to discuss optics.  Just so happened they had an older Schmidt and Bender probably circa 1980's 3-12x40 and I had him look through it.  Then I had him look through a new Leupold 3-9x40 VX 1.  He was shocked to see the Leupold actually gave him a clearer and much brighter picture for about $1500. less.  Optics have changed over the years mostly due to coatings.  Before you invest in a used scope that is more then 10 years old compare it to today's offerings and you may be suprised.  As to which scope is better then another it usually boils down to brand loyality, money, friends' recommendations, opinion polls or what it should be and that is what conditions am I shooting in and how does this scope and my eyes see the target and does it hold zero.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »
Now Swampman if I truely believed what you are saying I wouldn't touch a Bushnel, or Nikon for that matter. They are playing you for a fool, selling you a scope that is worse for more money (Witness the 4200 series and the Monarch series). Now a company that will lie to me, and then take me for a fool, and steal my money, doesn't deserve my financial support. I find it hard to believe you would have any truck with such a disreputable outfit yourself. 

At least the Redfield at $200 is the top of the line for them, they are not trying to sell you a worse scope for more money. Now that should deserve your respect.

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 01:50:10 PM »
Hey Swamp...big whitetails in KY??? I'm going to check that out, I actually didn't realize that KY was a big deer state or had any real trophy potential (not that it doesn't, I just didn't know).  Like to see some pics when you get back.

Sorry all for going off course....

KY is in the top ten states for producing B&C deer, probably actually in the top 5.  Lots of 160"-200" deer killed each year, mostly in western KY.  T/C actually has a ranch in wky where they filmed a lot of their whitetail hunts.  It was for sale, not sure if it still is. 

I am in NKY.  Had a 200" killed within 15 miles of my house not too many years ago, new state record.  More than a few 150"-160" deer are killed each year locally.

Family has 900 acres in eastern KY.  In the last 10 years there's been five 140" deer killed,  a nice 125", a couple of 150", one that was at least 170" not recovered (bad shot, bad bullets, long story) and the best was 179" non-typical with with a couple of 18" G-2's.

Yes, there are big deer in KY.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 03:54:53 PM »
Hey Kyelk....no kidd'n...I'm impressed..really never would have figured.  Cool....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 05:33:16 PM »
Yeah, and those are only the legally harvested deer I'm talking about.  If you take into account all of the big deer that are poached every year, sadly, KY would be the #1 B&C state.  It's a REALLY big problem down in the eastern areas.  I've seen pics on game cameras of deer that are every bit of 200" down there.  People kill them, take the heads, and do the taxidermy themselves.

The poaching is such a problem that the game wardens don't go to certain areas of the counties because they will get shot at or have people "visit" their homes.  One warden, covering 2 or 3 counties (in which many state roads are still gravel), just isn't going to win the battle.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 02:16:24 PM »
I am not trying to act like a "know-it-all" but anyone that walks into a store or gun show and looks at optics is largely wasting time.  You really can't get the pro and cons of any scope without taking it to the field.  So, if you are trying to say that because you looked through a scope in a well light area at a gun show or shop you can't use that to compare scopes.  You are looking through the optics in a perfect situation. 
I can’t count the number of optics that I have had the opportunity to shoot.  I have a gun range and have SEVERAL people each year come to sight-in and setup rifles.  I get to shoot most of these rifles because I am (most of the time) the one that does the sight-in.   While many sub $200 scope are good there is simply no way it would compare to a Leopold VX III.  I also am a true believer in the phrase “Law of diminishing returns.”  There is a point in price that you are getting very little more performance for that extra money.  While I think Swarovski makes some fantastic scopes I doubt I will ever own one.  Maybe one day.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 09:47:28 AM »
A $200.00 Redfield is about as good as a Bushnell Banner for $60.00.

if you are trying to say that because you looked through a scope in a well light area at a gun show or shop you can't use that to compare scopes.

You're right, that why I get out in the swamp about 10 feet from my back porch and compare them while the sun is going down.  That's why I compare them in FL, KY, NC, Maine, and AL on hunting leases.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »
Excellent...so...you purchase a couple inexpensive brands at the same time and then you take them all to the swamp at the same time and compare them.....I see now....really I do. 

If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 06:21:32 PM »
I am not trying to act like a "know-it-all" but anyone that walks into a store or gun show and looks at optics is largely wasting time.  You really can't get the pro and cons of any scope without taking it to the field.  So, if you are trying to say that because you looked through a scope in a well light area at a gun show or shop you can't use that to compare scopes.  You are looking through the optics in a perfect situation. 
I can’t count the number of optics that I have had the opportunity to shoot.  I have a gun range and have SEVERAL people each year come to sight-in and setup rifles.  I get to shoot most of these rifles because I am (most of the time) the one that does the sight-in.   While many sub $200 scope are good there is simply no way it would compare to a Leopold VX III.  I also am a true believer in the phrase “Law of diminishing returns.”  There is a point in price that you are getting very little more performance for that extra money.  While I think Swarovski makes some fantastic scopes I doubt I will ever own one.  Maybe one day.

A good store will let you take optics outside and look at various landmarks, terrain, etc. before you buy. Everyone talks about low light capabilities with their optics, but full bright sun on a wide open plain will sort out the good from the marginal too. I found that out the hard way. The coatings really come into play in those circumstances.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 07:18:17 AM »
this scope will go on a new browning x bolt micro hunter in .308. After paying for the rifle I have a limited budget. So which one and why ? Redfield 3x9x40 or Simmions pro-hunter or a Nikon prostaff. all run between 100 to 149.00.

You can’t go wrong with the Redfield Revolution, over the Nikon Prostaff.  The Simmons is not an option for me, so I can’t comment.

Redfield Revolution is produced in the same facility, from the same machines, by the same talented hands, as Leupold riflescopes.

If it were me, I would purchase a Leupold VX-I they can be found new on auction sites in your price range of above scopes.

yooper77