Author Topic: Gun Buying Question  (Read 1412 times)

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
Gun Buying Question
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:29:49 AM »
Mornin'

I'm a Texas resident, active duty military currently assigned to Hawaii. I'll be home on leave next month and may look into a new firearm while I'm there - pickins are slim here, and way overpriced, and by the time you add shipping & fees to an online purchase ... well its ridiculous. Anyway, do I need to have a TX drivers license in order to purchase, or would a Military ID, with proof of residency be sufficient? Appreciate any help you might offer.

Also, would you recommend any local gun shops in the Woodlands, Conroe, Houston area?

Thanks,
Chaps
held fast

Offline HL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Gun Buying Question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:42:49 AM »
I called a local gun shop and asked them the questions you had.

Here's what you need to do and how long it will take.

1st, you will need to have receipts of at least 3 months showing you have been in Texas for at least 3 months, ie: phone bill, electric bill, etc.

2nd, you don't need a TDL. As long as you have permanent change of status from the Military, stating you are being transferred to Texas;

3rd, current Military photo ID.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Since it's just leave, you may not be able to purchase while you are here. You may have to check a little further, but it sounds to me if you are stationed in Hawaii, that the gvt considers that your permanent residency until you are reclassified to another locaton.

HL

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:32:49 PM »
HL, appreciate it. Sounds like I'm out of luck; my HOR is in El Paso, and my LES still shows Texas for state tax purposes, but it sounds like they want a current physical presence. I'm been moving around for Uncle Sam since '87 and usually Dad held onto my guns, or he'd find what I was looking for and buy it and hang on to it until the next time I was passing through, but he passed 2 years back and I guess I took all this for granted.

Thanks again, Chaps
held fast

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »
American citizens can purchase long guns in any state these days. Not so with handguns so if that's what you're after I dunno but there are special provisions for military active duty that differ from the rest of us.

I believe so long as you are on active duty in a state you can purchase long or handguns there. If it's leave that's not quite the same so I don't think the military exemption would apply.

Call BATFE and ask. Don't assume that advice you get via the internet or even from an FFL dealer is accurate. It's often not.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:03:04 PM »
TM,

After joining the military, did you maintain your Texas Drivers License (TDL)?  If not, you are SOL. 

I used a family members address as a "permanent" address, vehicles registered there and everything.  I even registered a vehicle I aquired while stationed in Maryland by calling the vehicle registration office where my other vehicles were registared and they sent me the paperwork and instructions.  You don't have to change drivers license everytime you PCS, just ensure your vehicle(s) are insured for the location your stationed. 

Now what all that was about is that if you can do that, you will have a current TDL and can purchase firearms in your home state and hunt there with a residence license even though you may be assigned somewhere else. 

Best of Luck,
Shvlhead.45

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »
shvlhead, I wound up getting an Hawaii DL more out of convenience than anything couple years back not realizing what I was giving away. I may wind up just putting in for a Texas license this next trip.

Thanks all!
Chaps
held fast

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 06:21:26 PM »
I'm assuming you are  talking about a handgun, for as Bill said above, you can buy a long gun anywhere they are legally sold.  I've bought in 3 states in the last year or so while travelling for work.  It might have taken 2 minutes for them to call in the instant check.

Handguns are another issue, and of course must be shipped to a FFL, which here will cost me another $25.00, but other than that were no problem. 

Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline markc

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:42:38 AM »
Team Nelson, I hope you can figure all that liscense stuff out. In the Tomball area, just a bit N/W of Houston, I trade at Tomball Pawn.  Nearly all of my new firearm purchases, and a number of used ones have been there.  They are honest folks and will order anything you are looking for.  I find their mark-up prices about like every other store.   
markc

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »
TM,

Where will you you be when in Texas on leave? 

If you need any information or whatever while on leave, let me know.  I don't know everything but I bet I know where to go or where to send you.

v/r
Shvlhead.45

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
shvlhead, we're all meeting in the Woodlands for my sister's wedding. If anyone has the name of a shop they trust in that area, I will call ahead and research some more. Actually looking for long guns or a stainless G2 frame. I'll at least pick up some ammo; I try to do that every time I'm on the mainland and TSA has never given me grief.

Thanks,
Chaps
held fast

Offline ShooterSATX

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »
TeamNelson,

What about a Gun Show? Normally, you can find out when and where the nearest one is. Not much really required to buy from a private party...I think you need to be breathing and have cash! I believe that the Saxet Gun Show folks have a website that gives you dates and locations. They are normally the first weekend of every month here in San Antonio.

Best wishes and Godspeed!

Shooter

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 05:40:10 AM »
Your TDL  and Mil ID should work.  I bought here in SA with OK DL and Mil ID.  Used my Lackland AFB address.  No other proof required.

Went straight through in about a minute.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 12:23:34 PM »
TeamNelson,

I only know of one gun shop near that area and it's Carter's Country off of Treshwig east of IH 45 south of the Woodlands.

One of the other guys here, from Houston, may be able to direct you to other shops. I lived in Houston for 12 years but have been relocated to San Antonio for the past 7 years.

Offline rlm2007x

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 07:03:47 AM »
There's a place in Conroe called "The Gun Emporium" that's pretty good and has it's own shooting range.  Robert

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 08:12:33 AM »
I would contact TXDPS. They are the NICS POC for Texas. They should be able to help you. These laws change often and I would not rely on a gun store person. 

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 12:56:43 AM »
http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_tx.htm

Check out this site has some answers about Texas laws regarding purchases. The way I read it a Texas resident may purchase a firearm, Since you are a resident of record of El Paso you qualify.
 Another way would be to have a family member purchase the firearm then sell it to you.
Where are you stationed in Hawaii? Son - in -Law was in the 25th at Schoefield before he got promoted from E7 to Lt, the may have made an officer out of him but they got  a lot of work to make a Gentleman !!!!!!!!  ;D

Thanks for your service and good luck
George Mann
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 06:44:18 AM »
George, I'm on my second consecutive tour here; first was with 2/3 Marines, current is with a joint command - I'm a Chaplain. But like your son, I was enlisted (87-98). Somedays the Marine SSgt in me gets out, but only when necessary ... I hope :)

The Gun Emporium in Conroe called BATF, and they couldve used my voter registration card, but I didn't think to bring it, oh well. But I will next time!
held fast