Author Topic: 98 percent of Italian priests are gay  (Read 1041 times)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
98 percent of Italian priests are gay
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:56:22 AM »
Gotta be a record huh?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/24/catholic-church-gay-priests-exposed

The Catholic church, already reeling from a string of clerical sex abuse scandals, is facing new embarrassment after an Italian magazine published an investigation into what it termed the double life of gay priests in Rome.

Using hidden cameras, the weekly Panorama, owned by Italy's prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi, captured priests visiting gay clubs and bars and having sex. The Vatican does not condemn homosexuals, but it teaches that gay sex is "intrinsically disordered". In one of his earliest moves, pope Benedict barred actively gay men from studying for the priesthood.

The diocese of Rome lashed out at the prime minister's magazine, saying its aim was "to create scandal [and] defame all priests". But it also urged gay clerics to leave both the closet and the priesthood.

It said, "Consistency would require that they come into the open", but that they "ought not to have become priests".

The semi-official papal daily, L'Osservatore Romano, made no reference to the affair. Vatican Radio reported it briefly.

One priest, a Frenchman in his 30s identified as Father Paul, attended a party at which there were two male prostitutes then said Mass the following morning before driving them to the airport, Panorama reported. A photo on its website claimed to show the priest in his dog collar but without his trousers with a gay man who acted as decoy for the magazine. In other shots, priests were shown apparently kissing Panorama's collaborator.

A member of the clergy quoted by the magazine put the proportion of gay priests in the Italian capital at "98%". The Rome diocese insisted the vast majority of priests in the city were "models of morality for all", while adding that the number of gay clergyman was "small, but not to be written off as isolated cases". A review eight years ago of research on the American church concluded that between a quarter and a half of seminarians and priests there were homosexual.

A former Italian MP and gay activist, Franco Grillini, said: "If all the gays in the Catholic church were to leave it at once – something we would very much like – they would cause it serious operational problems."

Another well-known spokesman for the gay community, Aurelio Mancuso, condemned Panorama's investigation as a "horrible political and cultural operation", but agreed that if priests in Rome were to follow the advice given to them in yesterday's statement, it would "paralyse" the diocese.

In March, the pope's own household was rocked by scandal when court documents revealed a Vatican chorister had procured male prostitutes for a papal gentleman-in-waiting.

Offline briarpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 98 percent of Italian priests are gay
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:08:11 AM »
There is no doubt in my mind that the vast majority of sodomites become so called priest in the cathalic church to get to the kids. They are able with the help of the clergy, as we have seen, destroy children for decades with no fear of punishment.
When I see a catholic church I cant help but think, there sits a pedophile buffet.
The good people that are part of this need to address the problem big time. Allowing the fox to guard the hen house is not the way to do it.
I do believe 98% is low.     

Offline steg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:18:08 AM »
I believe that it is as close to the truth as it can get, and it dosen't only apply to Itallian priests, I think it's all of them, and they wonder why church attendence is dropping off, I don't wonder at all. I've given up on the church a long time ago, I don't need one to pray in, that can be done anywhere,...................................... Just the rants of an old man ....................................steg

Offline powderman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 02:36:06 PM »
Several years ago in Lou Kentucky several priests went on trial and there was testimony from bothl priests and nuns. The priests said they went into the priesthood because they were gay and knew the church would lie and cover for their crimes against children. One nun testified that children had come to her for help but she covered it up because, the father cannot be questioned, and his word is final. I'm sure there are good priests but it's been a sickness in the catholic church for many many years. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »
78.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Maybe.....some of the gay men felt that by turning to God and the abstinent lifestyle they would lead in the priesthood, they would be able to overcome the sickness that was consuming and threatening their souls.  Many fell short, as do all of us mortals.  The ones that chose to predate on children should be hung with a short rope.  The ones that fell into homosexuality should be disciplined and possibly defrocked similar to priests caught in heterosexual relationships.  Sin is sin. 
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »
78.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Maybe.....some of the gay men felt that by turning to God and the abstinent lifestyle they would lead in the priesthood, they would be able to overcome the sickness that was consuming and threatening their souls

Oh yeah, I believe every word of that! NOT
                 Beerbelly           

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
the catholic church for over a decade has had problems attracting men into the priesthood since being "gay" doesn't seem to be a stigma anymore. For many men it was a place to hide their "gayness".

Offline powderman

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 06:18:58 PM »
A friend and I used to do a lot of work together. His brother was a priest and we worked for him quite a bit on apt buildings he owned, the priest was also the Lou City police chaplain, they called him shotgun cause he always carried one. YEP, he turned out to be queer too. Ya never know. POWDERMAN. :o :o :o :o :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 06:21:13 PM »
when a deviant lifestyle is required for a job why is anyone surprised to find that the people doing that job are deviants???
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »
I was once engaged to a nice Catholic girl. We even went through Pre-Cana. I really had no clue about priests and kids at the time. I was quite a young guy (too young for marriage), but I did not spend much time with kids. When I found out that the good Father spent all his free time in the video game arcade down the block with the local tweens, I wondered what the &&%^^& was going on with him. As far as I know, he is still a priest BTW.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »
They don't call 'em gay in Italy. Gay is an english word. In Italy they call 'em "finnochio". Like pinnochio but with an "f". Capisce? Ciao paisan.

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »
They don't call 'em gay in Italy. Gay is an english word. In Italy they call 'em "finnochio". Like pinnochio but with an "f". Capisce? Ciao paisan.

Babelfish says le notti brave dei preti gay means the good nights of the priests gay

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »
i hope that reported info is a lot of bunk..
not catholic ,not ritualistic at all. so have little knowledge of it..
 that being the case ,its inappropriate for me to comment as to its validity .
but i can only hope its not true..slim

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 02:06:06 AM »
The diocese of Rome lashed out at the prime minister's magazine, saying its aim was "to create scandal [and] defame all priests".

Oh, now look how they distort things. After all, only 98% of the priests are being called into question, not all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN0t2fXkLmg
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 03:29:04 AM »
  Obviously, when the RC Church adopted their "celibacy" stance , they were making a mistake. One wonders why a denomination so concerned with tradition would abandon the idea of marriage, which the Apostles endorsed. in any case, that move opened the gates for just such abuse.
  Historically the perversion of homosexuality is one which seemes to manifest itself strongly and often is allowed legitimacy, only in nations & cultures which are profligate and in sharp decline. Speaks well for us, doesn't it !
    When the "celibacy" idea came into the RC Church, homosexual activity was frowned upon by most civilized nations, so likely the priesthood offered a haven for some misfits. The major question would likely be: Which came first; the celibacy stance, or the homosexuals?
  Where the Roman church made it's great mistake was not rooting out immoral, illegal activity IMMEDIATELY, at the first sign. Trying to cover it up was like trying to cover a serious cancer lesion with some kind of makeup. The problem would be hidden for a time...only to break through later in a more virulent and possibly fatal onset.
  The RC Church is not alone, the Anglicans, Episcopalians and Presbyterians are at this moment struggling with the question. The answer is simple, if they read the Bible, believe it and want to follow it's advice, the direction is simple...one of genuine repentance & forgiveness, but certainly not tolerance within it's ranks (e.g., Romans 1:22-28).
   One thing which is a bit puzzling here is the many who are condemning the RC Church, but are using the euphemism.."gay" !
  Why deal so gingerly with such perversion ? Call it what it is homosexuality, queer, twisted, perverse or even fag..but by referring to the practice with a borrowed euphemism, tends to allow the practitioners a certain sense of legitimacy..which should not be allowed..unless we want more of it.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 06:04:55 AM »
 Obviously, when the RC Church adopted their "celibacy" stance , they were making a mistake. One wonders why a denomination so concerned with tradition would abandon the idea of marriage, which the Apostles endorsed. in any case, that move opened the gates for just such abuse.  

It comes from several Traditions.  1 Corinthians, Chap. 7- “Now concerning the thing whereof you wrote to me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.  But for fear of fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband… But I speak this by indulgence, not by commandment.  For I would that all men were even as myself [unmarried]: but every one hath his proper gift from God; one after this manner, and another after that. But I say to the unmarried, and to the widows: It is good for them if they so continue, even as I…

But if any man think that he seemeth dishonoured, with regard to his virgin, for that she is above the age, and it must so be: let him do what he will; he sinneth not, if she marry.  For he that hath determined being steadfast in his heart, having no necessity, but having power of his own will; and hath judged this in his heart, to keep his virgin, doth well.  Therefore, both he that giveth his virgin in marriage, doth well; and he that giveth her not, doth better.”

St. Paul clearly identifies the state of virginity or celibacy as a state that is better than the state of marriage.  We also see this in the words of Jesus Himself:

Matthew 19: 11-12- “[Jesus] said to them: All men take not this word, but they to whom it is given.  For there are eunuchs, who were born so from their mother's womb: and there are eunuchs, who were made so by men: and there are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven. He that can take, let him take it.”

Jesus is clearly speaking here of those who live singly and chastely for the sake of the kingdom of God.  As the Catholic commentary in the Douay Rheims Bible notes about this verse: “There are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs, for the kingdom of heaven... This text is not to be taken in the literal sense; but means, that there are such, who have taken a firm and commendable resolution of leading a single and chaste life, in order to serve God It was taught repeatedly by the fathers of the Church,prominent Christian writers of the earliest centuries who repeated the truths learned from the apostles.  Here are two examples:

St. John Chrysostom, A.D. 392: “That virginity is good I do agree.  But that it is even better than marriage, this I do confess.  And if you wish, I will add that it is as much better than marriage as Heaven is better than Earth, as much better as angels are better than men.”

St. Cyril of Jerusalem, A.D. 350: “While you maintain perfect chastity, do not be puffed up in vain conceit against those who walk a humbler path in matrimony…. Because you have a possession of gold, do not on that account hold the silver in contempt.”

Eucibius, on the other hand said that while God probably loves the effort to live a celibate life, the surely loves those who stay in the world and raise pious and Godloving children. 

Toss in the teaching of Augustine about original sin, and his almost heretical view that the flesh is inherently sinful, rather than just weak and prone to sin (ideas not accepted as dogma by the Church in the East, but is accepted by many protestant sects), and it is quite easy to see how the RCC came to the view that priests should not marry, erroneous though it may be. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 06:30:41 AM »
No suprises here if we read.....

Looks like church has a corner on this...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/25/gay-lutheran-pastors-join-church-roster/?test=latestnews
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline TheCoachZed

• Avid Poster
  • Who wants some?
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 02:12:01 PM »
The RC church bans marriage in clergy because they are afraid of the clergy developing family ties stronger than ties to the church.
My avatar is pretty much what I look like out in the woods - except I am not a "chick" in any sense of the word.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 02:20:10 PM »
That would be fine but the practice of forbiding priest to marry isn't Biblical.  In fact a single man cannot be a Bishop per the Bible.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline powderman

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »
the practice of forbiding priest to marry isn't Biblical.

YEP, just catholic doctrine, like a lot of other stuff they do. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 02:03:37 AM »
That would be fine but the practice of forbiding priest to marry isn't Biblical.  In fact a single man cannot be a Bishop per the Bible.
Thought it had to do with inheiritance. Priests used to be very rich, very powerful. The church did not want the valuables leaving the church when the priest died. Forbidding marriage helped make that happen.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »
One thing is apparent;
  Some reporter for the Guardian, in order to be sure and accurate as to the percentages...must have done some real up-close-and-personal undercovers (pun intended) journalism. surprisingly then, he goes on to boast about it ! :D ;D ;D

...Bet that highly esteemed newspaper called the "Guardian"..can only be bought from that wire rack at the checkout counter... :D ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 03:49:24 PM »
Thanks wreckhog, just re read the post and saw your magazine article . Wasn't aware the Italians started using gay. It certainly was not in common usage when I was stationed there in the 70's.  ;)