Author Topic: Sacred music  (Read 1071 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Sacred music
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:03:03 PM »
So I'm becoming a bigger fan of sacred and secular music everyday. Our church is big with music, which makes me a real happy camper. I studied some secular and sacred music while working on my undergrad as well, and have come to find that there is a lot out there for great sacred and secular works. Just wondering what anyone's experiences here are with this kind of music. I'm sure a lot of you sing in church. What are your favorite hymns? Verses in the hymns? Favorite Christian songs?
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Re: Sacred music
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:04:15 AM »
I belong to a Pentcostal church and attend a Messianic Synagogue on Friday nights.  The music in the church is generally contemporary, with some hymns.  The music at the syangogue is broken into 2 sections:  praise music, which is generally lively, and worship music, which is contemplative (my term).  For a sample of the Messianic music, look up Paul Wilbur.  The church that I used to belong to only used music out of a hymnal, which I did not find inspirational.

A favorite contemporary song of mine is "Come, Now Is the Time to Worship" by Brian Doerksen.  One of my favorite Messianic songs is "In Your Presence" by Paul Wilbur.

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:15:47 AM »
My personal favorite is the hymn "Rock of Ages". There is a thread in the Bible Study forum about peoples favorite songs and such.  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=70289.0

Offline Rex in OTZ

• A Real Regular
66 degrees north ecumenical music group.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
I attended a large Ecumenical music gathering hosted by the 7'th day adventists there were a couple music groups Baptists and the 7th'ers had key boards, vocals and getars. the 7'thers had play'd one that held allot of meaning to them and the tune was very familure to me, it rattled round in the back my mind like a popcorn husk in your gum it bugged me for most the evening till the little light went on I pulled out my Irish Music book (had my music bag)in the back of my Sweet Pipes Irish tunes book was "Wiskey in a Jar" was note for note that exact tune just to different  more church appropriate words!

Offline tripper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
WOW to try and pick a favorite is diffecult. Rock of ages would be one of meny.My repuirement is wheather or not I feel is is Holy Spirit inspired. There are to meny groups out there that are performing for the dollar rather then for the LORD.
be safe and god bless
tripper

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »
Fernando Ortega does some great stuff.  "Just As I Am" and "He Leadeth Me" are 2 of my favorites.  I don't like any of the modern stuff.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:50:50 AM »
And, the greatest gospel singer of all time was   ELVIS !!!!!
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »
Yea he lived the life.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~