Author Topic: What A MESS!!!!!!!  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
What A MESS!!!!!!!
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:47:23 PM »
 :-[ :-\ :'( Usually, I do not load a great volume of ammo and have it sitting around the house...I prep the brass, and have all the necessary stuff to load a hundred or two hundred rounds if I go for prairie dogs...Mostly I keep 100 loaded rounds for each varmit rifle and let it go at that...couple winters ago, I had time on my hands, and my best pal loads thousands of rounds and stores them.....so I thought what the heck, I will load some .223's....one of my favorite bullets is a 52 grain hollow point...so I loaded up around 1000+ of these bullets from two different lots....I stored some seperatly others I just put in a plastic jar like my pal does...to make a long story short...when I shot some of these rounds, I got some serious jacket fouling in the bore of the .223...It never fouled badly before...after 25 rounds a brush and Shooters Choice wouldn't take it out...I have to use JB bore paste.....I wrote the company, and got a nice reply and request for some sample bullets...soon I got bad news the jackets were too soft...the company sent me another 1000 round pack, but now I am sitting on these pile of bullets, some foul some don't...pulling 1000 .223's is not on my agenda, so I have been shooting 25 or so a day and cleaning the bore with JB...any better solution for cleaning???????????????????????????????? It will take a while maybe a couple years to work though the mess shooting at the few p. dogs we have left, but it seems a better plan than trying to pull these bullets...NEVER AGAIN will I load 1000 varmit bullets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't feel this will hurt the Douglas barrel, but I would like something that pulls this jacket material out with less effort than JB and Shooters Choice...Great stuff both, but I need a faster more powerful cleaner this time if possible.....

Offline smong2000

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Contributor
Re: What A MESS!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
Would a little moly coating help?

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »
smong2000, never thought of that, but I think I would only catch the front of the bullet and most of the fouling comes farther back, BUT it is worth a try..thanks.... ;D

Offline nicholst55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:47:55 PM »
Try either Foul Out or Outers foam bore cleaner.  Both will make short work of jacket fouling.

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:43:43 PM »
 That's a good tip from nichols, several makers have that foaming bore cleaner, works great for removing copper fouling, easy to use, quicker I'd think than scrubbing with paste.

Hey, cool,,post 1000 for me  8) cheesh,,never thought I did THAT much yakin ,, ;D :D
found elsewhere

Offline shot1

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:24:46 AM »
Yep, that foaming bore cleaner is the stuff. Just follow the instructions to the letter. I found out just how well it works when I did some tracer bullet shooting in my M1 Garand and Springfield rifle. The jackets on those tracer bullets is really soft and man did it foul the bore. I applied the foam to the bores waited the allotted time and I could not believe the BLUE that came out of them. I put the foam in again and waited the allotted time and just got a little blue out that time. It proved to me that the stuff really works with just one application.  I used the Outers foam.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 04:23:10 AM »
 :D Thanks, I will get some of this stuff and give it a try...................

Offline gary0529

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 05:32:31 AM »
Wyo. coyote,

Previous cleaning suggestions all good but from a purely time standpoint would it not be faster to pull 'em and be done with it?
I have found a Hornady collet puller to be pretty efficient and at least theoretically you could do 50 or so, stand them in a reloading block and them put in the newer/thicker/harder/whatever bullets that were the replacements.

Maybe I just dislike cleaning more than pulling and reloading.

Gary

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:37:38 AM »
I use Wipe Out brand foam cleaner. Works good and doesn't smell at all. Very little to no nasty stuff and the bores come clean. I usually leave it over night. Or shoot the foam in, let it sit for 1-2 hrs. Wipe then apply again for overnight.

I have some older stuff. I think the newer stuff works better but one can lasts me about a year.

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

I REALLY REALLY like that it doesn't have all the bad fumes of Shooter's Choice etc.

Get the accessory tube for squirting into the chamber. I just use a piece of clear vinyl fuel line I had laying around.

WAY better than JB, elbow grease, and a pile of patches.
I prop up the gun a little past horizontal so the stuff slowly drips down and out the barrel, not back into the action. I think it will eat aluminum.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »
 ;D Again, thanks, I will try some of this stuff as soon as I can get it...I am always looking for better ways to clean my rifles...

Gary, i went though pulling 1000 .222's once when I had to rebarrel.....horrible, but I only had the  hammer style puller...may look at the Hornady...still shooting is more fun then pulling...if it takes as long to clean after 50 rounds as it does after 25, I will probably shoot 'em away...will test THAT idea tomorrow....again thanks...

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 10:01:51 AM »
I use "Wipe-Out Patch-Out". If your in a hurry for it to work then get "Wipe-Out Accelerator" to go with it.
It will make short work out of the worst fouling.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 10:31:54 AM »
I use isopropyl alcohol to get copper out . Soak it good then let set 30 or so mins. If you took some to the range and run a patch thru every so many rounds , say 4-5 maybe you could stay ahead of it ?
 Also have you tried to see if you could ID the soft copper ? Maybe it will sctatch or dent easier than the good ones ? Copper we work with will react different if different hardness exist.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »
I don't worry about the copper unless accuracy falls off.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 11:02:38 AM »
I have a impact type bullet puller and agree that it would be difficult to pull a thousand with that. Since you dont need or want to save the bullets, I would use my reloading press and some pliars or sidecutters. Without dies in the press put your cartridge into the shell holder and raise it intill the bullet is above the top of the press, grab the bullet with sidecutters then lower the cartridge. The bullet is out much quicker than I can describe it.
You could yank a bunch of bullets very quickly this way.  ;)
Elwood
Vae Victis

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 01:00:35 PM »
I've found that ammonia will remove copper quickly, though the fumes will get to you if you're trying to use ammonia inside.  If you do use ammonia to clean a barrel, you must remember to oil the bore afterward.  The ammonia will remove any lubrication left in the barrel and attract moisture, so once you're done cleaning, lubing the bore is a must.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 01:11:19 PM »
Just buy a Hornady bullet puller and correct collet and take the bullets out. You will not spill a drop of power and can really do a bunch in a short time. Do them in say lots of 100 at a time putting the cases with powder in a tray and then seat the new bullets and be done with it. Yeah I've done that before so know it worked fine for me.

I used to use the kinetic puller until I wound up with a huge pile of loaded ammo in a couple chamberings and no longer had guns for them and had no plans to ever again have. I got the Hornady puller and had bullets pulled from several hundred rounds in far less time than it would have take to do 10% that many with a kinetic puller.

In my case I was not seating different bullets in these but have done it many times since for various reasons.

Also let this serve as a lesson learned on never loading a huge pile of ammo until you at least test them to be sure all works well for you. Had you done that you'd have known of the fouling before loading so many.

I loaded up a HUGE pile of .223 ammo years back and some of it I used a neck size die rather than FL die as these loads were for one specific rifle and shot better in it NS rather than FL sized. Problem is I sold or traded off the rifle and now have way more rounds than I'd like that don't seem to fit the guns I now have. Some day I might pull them but the way I go thru rifles hopefully one day I'll find another that they fit into and can just shoot them. I can tell you for sure neither of my ARs are candidates for them. Don't even bother asking how I know that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »
 :D Again, thanks for the replies...I did order the Hornady bullet puller...when I looked at that pile of 223's it seemed to make good sense..I will not shoot them all this year even if they were good bullets..so I will give that a try...
I have shot several thousand of the 52 grain hollowpoints in all of my rifles...It was a favorite coyote bullet for my 22-250 and 22-250 Improved...they fired it with out a hitch..and they are still very accurate..but I just don't want the copper to build up that much...because it accumulates rapidly...in just 25 shots or so...in the mean time thanks for the help...after the incident with pulling the .222 bullets I never loaded great quanities of rounds as I mentioned before, but this time it seemed like a good idea...wrong...

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
 :D ;D ;)  Gary, Elwood, and Graybeard,  I tried the pliars on the 52 grain........Wow!!!! they sure pulled easy...with care I may not have damaged the bullets, but in this case I wasn't concerned...replaced 60 rds. in no time so will pull a box of 50 at nite to shoot the next day....thanks ....You were right Gary pulling was easier than cleaning...plus I can easily finish the job this winter..again thanks....Learned something new and useful today...

Offline shot1

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 03:18:48 AM »
The only problem I have run into with just pulling a bullet and then seating another one in it's place is accuracy problems. You loose your bullet pull by not resizing the neck of the case. The neck stretched out when you seated the first bullet and if it is not resized you will have less bullet pull and thus loss in accuracy. At least this is my experience, you may get different millage. At least I would only pull and reseat just a few bullets and try them first. You don't want to do all those bullets and then have them shoot so bad that you can't hit anything with them.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 04:14:45 AM »
 :o Shot 1, Serria suggested the same thing...thought I would try the 50 I replaced last nite and go from there thanks for the reply.....Will let you know what happens......

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 09:50:22 AM »
 :D shot1 I took a couple quick shots at a target at 100 yards this am on the way to shoot a few prairie dogs...both 50 grain Serrias touched so for this time they are accurate enough for shooting p. dogs...I will keep checking as I pull and replace and see what happens..may have to neck size, but I hope not..........................

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 08:04:13 PM »
Hey there Hunter, drop over Saturday afternoon and we'll pull them suckers.

As GB indicated, the Hornady collet puller is a good one.

Hate the hammer set ups.  Tried a couple of them and IMHO, they are junk!  At least when compared to the collet pullers.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 02:07:47 AM »
sorry but im to cheap to pull and throw away a 1000 bullets. Id shoot them and buy some wipe out. Ive used it since it was first brought out by the inventor and it works great. I never was one to clean guns very often and still only clean handguns when there so dirty it effects accuracy or reliability but my rifle clean has gotten so easy with wipe out i do it every time i shoot them. I just take them home and spray in some wipeout and leave them overnight and in the morning before i go shooting again i just run a couple patches through the gun and there good to go.
blue lives matter

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 06:31:52 AM »
Good to read the real life experience with the new cleaners!

Guess I have read too much advertizing hype over the years, so hadn't tried the new foam cleaners.

Good to hear they are the "real" thing, especially when old hands like Lloyd give them a thumbs up.

By the way Hunter, the offer still holds if'n ya can make it this afternoon!  Better call ahead!!  ** LOL **

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 07:42:08 AM »
 :D Darrell ,  wish I was close enough t o take up your offer....when I was returning from Washington, I hoped to swing by your area and maybe say hello...but didn't work out...I will be able to work on these bullets as I need them next summer...as far Lloyd, as using these bullets in my rifle, no way...i had to clean for several days to get the copper out so the barrel would not foul...this is my last heavy use of these bullets I have 4000 of them and will only load a few at a time, I have had trouble with this company before....anyway, I got the problem solved, used JB, Shooters Choice, and Rem. Bore Cleaner...I looked at some of the spray cleaners, but they are very expensive in this area with few stores, so decided to pick some up on my next trip to a big town, but now I don't really need them...I usually keep my rifles very clean, so it is seldom a big job like this one... 
Lloyd,,I am always looking for a better way to clean my rifles...is WIPE OUT the name of your foam cleaner?????? Apparently, it is safe to leave in over nite...the ones I looked at said to BESURE AND OIL after using...I didn't like the sounds of that..have someof those cleaners, but haven't use em in years...I tried a product called Bore Tech...it is good but would not pull all the fouling out...it was fouling that was very heavy in onlya few inches of the bore........Thanks everyone for all of your help....

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 01:47:37 AM »
this is the one i use.  http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=784639   I have never had to oil a bore afterward. Ive also used the gunslick version. Its comes in a bottle that is twice as big for the same price and seems to work a bit faster but it has stained the oil finish on a couple guns so dont let it get on a stock that doesnt have one of those poly coatings. the wipeout is suppose to be left overnight but they also sell an accelerator that makes in work as fast as the gunslick version.
blue lives matter

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 05:29:09 AM »
 :DLloyd, thanksI will order some of this today...thanks again....