Author Topic: Here I go again another die question?  (Read 524 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Here I go again another die question?
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:45:03 PM »
My neighbor gave me an old set (but like new) 3 die set made by RCBS for the 308 Winchester. Well I allready have a Hornady FL and seating dies but I do like to just resize the necks so I will be using the neck sizing die that came in that set. I have used a Lyman and a Lee neck sizing die in the past but do not remember how to properly set it up. I went to RCBS web site and could not find much help. I need to know how to set up this RCBS neck sizing die. I would also like to know why on my old Lee 22-250 neck sizing dies I needed no lube and I just figured when neck sizing you just did not need lube. Well I was wrong about that. I bought a neck sizing die by Lyman for my 6.5x55 Swede and the brass needed lubed. I would like to know why and why did my Lee neck sizing die did not need lubed? I will never buy anything but a Lee neck sizing die from now on due to the fact you don't have to lube the brass. That saves me a bunch of time. I do have a Lee neck ng die on the way from Graft's but if I can use the RCBS neck sizing die without lubing the cases I will probably send it back. Thanks and take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Here I go again another die question?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »
what i do to set a neck die is back the die off and smoke the neck and see how much of the smoke is wiped off the neck and keep turning the die down till i size as much of the neck as i feel is nessisary. I usually take them down to just before the sholder. As to lubing them. Some dies seem to be able to get away without it and some dont. just like some brands of brass seem to not need it and some do. A little dry graphite works fine though and doesnt even need to be tumbled off afterward. I use the lee dies some too but i dont like the fact i have to cam over my press so hard. It makes everything on the bench jump and go flying. Personaly id pay extra if rcbs or redding or hornady would put carbide expander balls in there neck sizing dies as this would probably eliminate the need to lube necks.
blue lives matter

Online gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:27:56 AM »
Dale, old rule of thumb, neck size down as far as the diameter of the bullet. Only time I don't, is if the gun has such a deep throat, and the bullet will be seated out so far as not to be entirely in the case to use the necked down portion. Then I'll just neck size the top.(such was the case with the 7mmSuperMag.)
Be real careful about not lubing neck's. If you get a case stuck, which is unlikely, but can happen, you'll play hell getting it out without ruining the case.
I would suggest Imperial sizing die wax. Just a touch on your finger, and you can put enough on to lube 4-6 cases.
Lloyd, Redding makes carbide size buttons for .22 thru .30 cal. And, I believe they'll fit on some RCBS dies. Certain calibers will not. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 03:55:21 AM »
Be real careful about not lubing neck's. If you get a case stuck, which is unlikely, but can happen, you'll play hell getting it out without ruining the case.

Ditto!...I am suprised that the cases didn't get sticky on you with the Lee .22-250 sizer.

It makes everything on the bench jump and go flying.

Been there and I blamed my first die ever "a Lyman" for it. The thing would chatter n pop so badly that I resized less than 20 cases. Bought RCBS and the problem went away.

The expander ball is the real culprit here as pointed out already. I use an old Charmichael trick of putting just one drop of lube on a swab of the appropriate caliber then give the inside of every fifth case a quick twist with it. Mine are all full lenght and go back into the tumbler tho.

Redding makes carbide size buttons for .22 thru .30 cal

Thanks gypsyman!...I did not know that