Author Topic: Mini Lathe Review  (Read 852 times)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Mini Lathe Review
« on: August 12, 2010, 03:34:29 AM »
Back when I was down sizing equipment, I bought one of those 7 x 10 Harbor Freight mini lathes.  I converted it to a 14" bed and started machining small barrels.   Well, being used to running a 5 H.P. 3 phase and moving to this thing I learned real quick the meaning of taking light cuts.  I must have stalled this out at least 100 times, especially when cutting 3-1/2" diameter stuff.  The heaviest cut I could make was about 5 thousanths and very slowly at that. I persevered, then after a month of use, the motor controller burned out.  I went to the drawing board and this is what I did.  Now it works like a charm and cutting a barrel is a now a breeze. I can drill a 1" diameter hole in 1018 without much effort where with the old set-up that would never happen.  It's a direct drive system that turns the spindle at about 400 rpm with a hand feed lead screw.    Locking the lead screw engagement also doubles as a carriage lock.  I also had to redesign the carriage gib strips and adjusters to tighten the carriage.  It does the job now and my investment for the conversion was less than 100 dollars.  Dom 

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Mini Lathe Review
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 04:05:14 AM »
That is one fine piece of MOCHINERY ;D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
Re: Mini Lathe Review
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »
I like the belt tensioner............know damn all about metal lathes , but verbally abused many set ups on cars , pre electronic advances (or just another way to make Joe public pay overpriced garage bills ) if you prefer that term.
Scottish by birth and by heart.