Author Topic: WOLF AMMO  (Read 1154 times)

Offline LAREDOBOB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
WOLF AMMO
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »
Who uses WOLF AMMO? I have heard good and I have heard horror stories. What is your experience?
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country."   T. Roosevelt

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: WOLF AMMO
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »
it goes bang USEUALLY and i dont have to bend over and pick up brass. Would i trust my life to it? NO but its ok plinking ammo.
blue lives matter

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 02:57:41 PM »
I have shot a mountain of it in several different calibers, Narry a problem,Works well enuff for me. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:08:12 AM »
What weapon platform and caliber LAREDO ?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:11:37 AM »
steel ammo might be hard on some guns . I have used it and some lots work fine others seem to get a dud out of every box
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 01:32:11 AM »
lot of the misfires come form the fact that wolf uses a pretty hard cup on there primers and it needs a decent primer strike. Guns like minis and ars about need an extra power wolf hammer spring to run wolf reliably.
blue lives matter

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
I have used about 5,000 rounds of Wolf .223 in my Mini-14 rifles with zero misfires. This ammo is both the 55 and 62 grain bullet in steel case loadings. I have 7,000 rounds through my Mini-30, all 122 grain HP bullet in steel case. The initial 3,000 (bought ten years ago) had about 20 no fires in this 3,000. The last 4,000 were purchased later (about 5 years ago) and I have had 3 no-fires in that entire group. I have had two second try firings in the last batch of 7.62 and probably about the same amount of these as no fires in the first batch of 7.62 ammo.  I had about the same results with issued US military ammo in the 1970s in two Garands. I trust the .223 Wolf (bought about 5 years ago with the second batch of 7.62x39) as much as any other brand; and the later AK ammo has a good enough track record for me. I do believe Wolf improved since its initial offerings, both in ammo performance and accuracy. I have never fired steel cased ammo in my AR15s, so no comment there.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 02:19:48 PM »
Goes Bang and really soots up your bore.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
Bought a case of 500. Found them not as accurate in my SKS as the Bear ammo. Also it was quite dirty but so are all the other Russian ammo including Bear. All in all,  all 500 shot with no misfires and the accuracy was sufficent.

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 05:05:21 PM »
I've burned up quite a bit of it in my SKS and so has my son. Not as accurate as the old Norinco ammo I used to be able to get, but it works ok. I've never had any desire to try any in my AR.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 04:08:40 AM »
If you get your chamber good and hot it'll melt the coating off of the cases and then stick one in there. Stuff is better than hot glue. You especially don't want to leave a round in a pretty hot gun then let it cool in there. If the barrel is cooking off the oil you are fixing to hate your Wolf ammo.

Other than that I had not one complaint in 700 rounds. Any normal sane rate of fire will be no problem, in my 5.56 DPMS AR.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »
I was reading the ammo reviews on Midway's website on the Wolf ammo, I also bought several boxes of it a few days ago and have been shooting it for many years in .223.  There are some limits on how you use this stuff if you have an AR-15...keep your rate of fire down as it can stick in the chamber, I would not use it for combat, the primers can be hard, the polyurethane coating can get into other areas of the gun, and if you use Wolf after market springs this can make the rifle moody about reliability of the ammo.

Each AR-15 can vary on how this ammo works, some AR's shoot very well with it, others, lots of problems.  Try a box or two on your gun before buying a case.  It is underpowered, and it is better now than it was 5 years ago.  The reason I keep buying this stuff, is that it is cheap, I don't have to worry about brass, and I clean my rifles within 24 hours, so the sooty powder does not bother me.  My Mini-14 likes it, my CZ 527 bolt gun will shoot it fine, but the accuracy is so-so.

I started researching it as I see alot of guys at the range with A4's shooting tons of this Wolf ammo, and their accuracy is ok, no complaints about reliability either, or any that I heard.  At the end of the afternoon there is lots of these spent cartridges on the ground, so it works for some people.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 01:10:29 AM »
Ive buned up some 3000 rounds of 7.62X39 in my SKS and AK without a single missfire or other problem.  Accuracy was as good as my hand loads.

Offline whitfang

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 04:40:30 AM »
I couldn't resist the low price, so we got some Wolf .223 55gr and shot it in our new DPMS AR15.  On a hot day (92 degrees), the first several clips shot ok, then the jams started.  Somebody mentioned the lacquer coating melting off and building up and it's true!  The spent cases were jammed in like they were superglued.  Sprayed WD40 down the barrel, let the rifle cool off, pry the bolt back with a screwdriver, then push the empty case back out thru the breech with a ramrod.  Clean barrel and repeat.

The Wolf .223 always went bang, though.  A tip; save your back and get a brass catcher for your better brass ammo!

And I shoot Wolf .308 150gr in a Browning BAR which is nearly as accurate as Remington .308 and a lot cheaper.  No jams at all with it... the rate of fire is a lot lower.

Wolf ammo is like dating a cheap slut... it may be fun, but you're going to have problems now and then.

Encore / Mathews / Rem870 / Savage 10ML