Author Topic: The Markings of English Cannons Captured at Yorktown  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
The Markings of English Cannons Captured at Yorktown
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:56 PM »
PDF: The Journal of the American Military Institute, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Spring, 1939), pp. 58-61 Identifying Marks British Artillery Yorktown
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: The Markings of English Cannons Captured at Yorktown
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »
I was under the impression that ultima ratio regnum meant "last argument of kings."
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »
I was under the impression that ultima ratio regnum meant "last argument of kings."

George - That's also my understanding of the latin phrase; I mean I've seen some differences in translation like "The Final Resort/Reason of Kings", but they convey the same meaning: War had become the only option. I think the French (Louis XIV) were the first to put this on cannon, and it's the short version of "The Last Resort of Kings and Common Men", used in declarations of war.

GG, I'm missing something here; I've now reread the text of this document four or five times over, and I can't find any reference to the marking "Ultima Ratio Regum" being present on any of these British barrels.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »
It is in the article referenced by the post Miniature French cannon from the 18th century.  Don't know how it got attached to this thread other than lack of attention by the poster.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »
Thanks George; I kept going over the article, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't find the reference to the latin motto. :P
Don't feel bad though, I did the same exact thing on another GBO board last week; there were two similar threads and when I opened the thread I wanted to leave a post on, I picked the wrong one.