Author Topic: Lube tests?  (Read 626 times)

Offline waksupi

• Trade Count: (0)
Lube tests?
« on: December 06, 2003, 02:34:53 PM »
Has anyone here had the opportunity to do side by side testing with all the top lubes? In these, I would include LBT Blue, Felix, Billy's OFW, etc?

What were the results in accuracy and velocity limits?

Aladin, I know you shoot some pretty speedy loads. What do you usually use?

Offline Aladin

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lube tests?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 03:46:49 PM »
Quote from: waksupi
Has anyone here had the opportunity to do side by side testing with all the top lubes? In these, I would include LBT Blue, Felix, Billy's OFW, etc?

What were the results in accuracy and velocity limits?

Aladin, I know you shoot some pretty speedy loads. What do you usually use?

Last couple yrs I'm using basicly my own blends. As I do almost no warm weather shooten mine are somewhat thinner and work well in the winter cold. I shooten fall thru spring-- bugs come out I'm done.

That '62.5 gr' thread I ran back when was a formulation of mine. That load made 2855 fps otta an 06 using said amount of 22. Firing three shot strings duplicating the load testing of most in that sporter style barrel of mine I saw no leading of any consequence.  Fired four or five different slow powders of that wt with the lowest making a pedestrian 2660. Air temp was 35 degrees-- the bullets max hardness for that alloy treated.

Back when at Shooters I ran a similar test with a MAX+ chg of 335 in the 08 using the RCBS 180 Sp which carries plenty of lube. Grey 32, Taurak and LBT BLue made three rds and no leading visible from the muzzle end. Cleaned after the string and fired the next loading.   MLT and Felix lube in one version showed some grey, BUT.. that bullet was 3090 [too small] going probably 2500+ with each load. CUP was THERE... seldom seen with cast, but like I said MAX+.  I would NOT rate that test conclusive by any means. MLT isn't the best hi pressure lube but showed well to around 40,000 CUP in other loadings. The Felix lube showing grey I dunno. But again 3 shots of each isn't too definitive by any means.

I've messed enough with lubes to find a few things that work. In one formula I've eliminated the beeswax. Found something way better but thorough testing is done when I feel like it. My blends of late BTW are MLT 'boosted'...

No matter what Veral sez I find too much of the heavy lubes detrimental to accuracy. Yrs ago this led me to thin LBT blue-- which worked ok. But IMO 'Blue' is a hot weather pistol lube. The parafin base isn't the best agent-- again IMO.

But alot of barrel problems can't be solved with lube. If the thing gets too large going down barrel ya get slugging and that's gonna start leading buildup on the driving side.  3-4 thou oversized treated appears to help that in some rifle tubes.

IF I had a boresope.... which is what's really needed to study lube effects with certainty... I'd probably work on lubes with more enthusiasm.
Aladin

"that's my story and I'm stick'n to it"