Author Topic: Cast Bullets and Ported Barrels?  (Read 798 times)

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
Cast Bullets and Ported Barrels?
« on: August 12, 2010, 05:22:39 AM »
Is there a problem with shooting Casted Bullets through a ported/Braked barrel
I'm sure that I have read that but now I question the "mind"
SO I'm here to ask the Pro's

Tommyt

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Cast Bullets and Ported Barrels?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »
I'm certainly not a "Pro" as you put it, but I wouldn't worry about it.  You can always dip the end of the barrel into some bore cleaner and give the ports a scrub with pipe cleaner or a very small brush.

I shoot cast lead bullets through my AR-15 that is chambered in 300 Whisper.  After shooting SEVERAL hundred rounds through it, I took the gas block off and inspected for any signs of lead fouling, and there weren't none!  I gave it a good cleaning and put it back together and have put several more hundred through it with no concerns.

I'm sure that you would never notice a thing with a muzzle brake, they're such nasty, foul things anyway!   ;D

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 05:21:25 PM »
sure that you would never notice a thing with a muzzle brake, they're such nasty, foul things anyway
Your right and I have none ;D it was Just a discussion on another board

Tommyt

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 06:12:55 PM »
My 627 has a removable port.  I've had pretty good luck taking the thing off, putting it in a small plastic screw top bottle with some kroil, and putting it in my vibrating tumbler.  Knocks a whole lot of the lead out.

I get most of the rest with a sharpened brass cleaning rod, the ones for pistols.

They're a pain in the rear with cast bullets, but they sure make that follow up shot quicker.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 01:52:54 AM »
Ive been fireforming 7 waters brass from 3030 in my contender hunter and just in the last two days shot a 100 cast bullets out of it. I use cast to fireform to save money. It had just a hint of lead in the ports but it wiped off with a rag.
blue lives matter

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:34:46 AM »
It does take a couple of thousand rounds before I need to do anything.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus