Author Topic: Berger Bullets  (Read 949 times)

Offline zeke08

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Berger Bullets
« on: August 14, 2010, 04:16:28 AM »
Has anyone had experience shooting the Berger 168 grain 7mm VLD bullet. I have only seen adds for this round and not found any in stock for loading. Just wondered if anyone knew about this bullet and how it may preform on deer or elk? If it shoots well hows it's accuracy? 
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Berger Bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 04:34:39 AM »
Go over to the (Long Range Hunting) site and check out the forums and you will find a bunch of info on your question. I have only killed one deer with a Berger VLD and it was a 155 gr 30 cal out of my 30X47 HBR at 2650 fps muzzle velocity. I shot the deer broad side through the front shoulders at 111 yards. The deer took off running like it was shot out of a cannon into a thick cut-over. When I got to where the deer was standing there was blood and lung tissue blown out in a line for about 5 yards on the off side. I could find NO blood trail at all. I walked in the direction down a little trail that I had to get down on my knees to crawl part of the way and found the deer about 50 yards from where I shot it. The reason that there was NO blood trail is because there was nothing to pump the blood out with. It's vitals were mush. There was an exit hole in the off side shoulder about the size of a base ball.

Here is the picture.

Offline zeke08

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 07:23:25 AM »
shot1 thanks I was on the website and it would not open any info on the VLD, maybe it was down. I love the hole that was amazing. I was thinking of shooting the 168 VLD an if given the chance it would take a Elk.  Any other website?????
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
From the 4 deer I shot with a 130 Nosler Accubond out of my 264 Win mag last year. I think if I was going after elk with a 7mm mag I would be using the 160 Nosler Accubond. These bullets are very accurate and they fly and start to open up like the ballistic tip but they hold together like the partition and keep on trucking.  The Berger bullets from my limited experience and what I have read from others go in about 2 to 3 inches and then really come apart and on large game like elk they don't come out unless you are using a pretty large caliber and heaviest bullet. If I was going elk hunting I would want a bullet that I knew would get into and through the vitals from any direction and would break bone.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 04:59:42 PM »
I am shooting the VLD in a 308, 7-08, 30-06 and 270.  Over all I have found the VLD to be the most accurate bullets to date.  With Sierra being a very close second.  The destruction on deer is outstanding (if you like a little on the overkill).  I like nice big holes on deer and one tiny RAGGED hole on targets ;D ;D ;D

I use the 168 in my 308 and 7-08.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 05:33:56 AM »
Hey, were the bullets you folks used one Bergers in the Yellow boxes...they are match bullets...have a box, but heard they have a hunting bullet on the market also...If they are suitable, I would use them on whitetails...since they seem too fragile for big stuff...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 06:53:43 AM »
Berger Hunting bullets come in orange boxes.

Tim

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/Hunting%20Bullets.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:59:30 AM »
Here's a quote from another open forum by Eric Stecker; VP of Berger and Master bullet smith,,

I can confirm that the difference between our Hunting and Target bullets is the thickness of the jacket.  The Target bullets are built to withstand the more abusive conditions realized during competition shooting.  These include high shot  counts, rapid firing strings, extended exposure to direct sunlight, long barrels and higher than typical velocities.  Can they kill game?  Of course but so can a 22 long rifle if you put it is precisely the right spot.  It is best to stick with the bullets recommended application.  

Our Hunting bullets have been proven in the field again and again by thousands of hunters taking everything from antelop to grizzly bear at close and long range.  It is as close as bullets get to being "all purpose" (No bullet is totally all purpose).  This is because it works as good as the best hunting bullets at short range and better than any brand at long range.

You can trust that our Hunting VLD bullets will get the job done.

Regards,
Eric

This gent offered a direct factory exchange for a guy that mistakenly bought the target bullet (from a distributor) and wondered if it would work for hunting.
I'm flush with hunting bullets this season, having all my loads worked up, but I'll be trying Bergers for the 2011 season.

found elsewhere

Offline shot1

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »
They just in the last year or so started making what they call a hunting VLD bullet and putting them in orange boxes. It was because just a year or so ago they started making a thick jacket VLD that they labeled TARGET. If you have bullets from a couple of years ago or earlier they will be in yellow boxes and will be labeled "Match Grade" with the grain of the bullet like "155 gr. VLD" above the "Match Grade" on the side of the box. These are the same bullets that they now label "Hunting". They have the thinner J4 jacket.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 04:47:01 PM »
Shot1,  thanks the bullets I have are several years old..will give them a try...

Offline zeke08

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 04:01:49 AM »
Thanks I will try them out and post results as I get them!

NRA Life Member since 09