Author Topic: P-32  (Read 4193 times)

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
P-32
« on: February 22, 2011, 10:12:20 AM »
Just picked up my new P-32.  It's the hard chrome version.  Can't wait to see how it shoots.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: P-32
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:55 AM »
Congrats! I think you'll like it. I have the Navy Blue with Hard Chrome. It makes a great back up for my PF-9. You'll love how easy it is to conceal. Here's a pic of mine. A great holster for it is the Fobus Evolution 2. If ya can, post a pic of your's. :) Also, you might want to take a look at KTOG (Kel Tec Owners Group) and Kel Tec Range Index. Both are great Kel Tec forums with loads of very good advice. Free to join and well worth the effort.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 04:27:51 AM »
Spirithawk, thanks for the info.  I took the P-32 out last night while hog hunting (not to use on hogs, but just to run a few rounds through it) and actually shot a racoon with it.  It had a few jams, but I figure it'll loosen up a bit.  I'll get to the range in a few days and run some more through it.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 04:52:14 AM »
Spirithawk, thanks for the info.  I took the P-32 out last night while hog hunting (not to use on hogs, but just to run a few rounds through it) and actually shot a racoon with it.  It had a few jams, but I figure it'll loosen up a bit.  I'll get to the range in a few days and run some more through it.

You're quite welcome. They do have a break in period.  What ammo are you shooting through it? They can be finicky with hollow points. I shoot Remington 70gr FMJ through mine with no problem.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:32:40 AM »
It was Fiocchi 60gr JHP.  That was all our dealer here had.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:14:03 AM »
I have one I purchased three or four years ago.  The one box of hollow points I tried thru it worked well, but I usually stick to the Winchester FMJ load, as I have doubts about getting good penetration with an expanding bullet.  Mine has proven reliable, but lately I have been carrying a Ruger LCP when I am packing light.  Same size, a little more power, though I don't know if it really makes a difference except maybe psychologically.  A neat little accessery for the P-32 is a little spring loaded clip you attach to the side of the gun that allows you to tuck it in your waist band without fear of it falling out.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
My P-32 shoots Mag-Tech hollow points well and have never had a FTFeed/ fire, with them, I shoot alot of remmie FMJ as well. I've had for quite a few years now, they didn't have the .380 yet when I got mine. Absolutely like it alot.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
Mine has been fed nothing but Winchester 60 grain silver tips. Back when I got mine that round was the top rated round for the .32acp and I suppose still is. I've never had a jam or failure to fire with mine from day one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 06:40:30 PM »
Mine has been fed nothing but Winchester 60 grain silver tips. Back when I got mine that round was the top rated round for the .32acp and I suppose still is. I've never had a jam or failure to fire with mine from day one.

I think that is still a much favoured round for the P-32. Is your's first or second generation? I think the second generation ones feed hollow points better but that's just based on things I've heard and read. Mostly the problem was that the hollow points are usually a hair shorter than FMJ's and there was a problem with rim locks as a result. That was often corrected by putting fly wires in the mags. I've never shot anything but the Remington FMJ's out of mine but have been wanting to get some Hornady Custom XTP/HP's to try in it. I love them in my PF-9.

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 06:47:16 PM »
for the last 6 years mine has been like my wallet and pocket knife, just part of my everyday attire.  I have been shooting federal personal defense 65 gr hydra-shoks with good results, don't know what the diff is with the old hyra-shocks packaging and marketing i suppose, but they worked good too.  any FMJ seems to work well too.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
Dunno nuttin about generations. I've had it for several years but really don't even recall just when I bought it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »
Just remembered, I have shot speer gold dots in it as well and they perform flawlesly.

Graybeard, sounds like we may have had ours about the same amount of time. IIRC I got mine a couple of years before the .380 came out. I haven't been able to be at a store when they've had silvertips in stock. I'm thinking they're a popular flavor. I'd like to get some as well as some of the hornady's that Spirithawk mentioned, and test drive 'em.

Offline skiforce

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »

How did it do on the Racoon?

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 05:32:34 AM »
Killed it, but not immediately.  I just shot center mass considering the almost total lack of sights on the little gun.  It was quite angry with me before it died. 

Of course, I've also shot racoons with a 45acp and they didn't die immediately either. . . a 22lr to the head usually works better on them when I have something with me that'll place it there.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »
The most easily distinguished difference between generations is the extractor. The first generation has a traditional external extractor parallel to the side of the gun, while the second generation has a button-head hex screw to the rear of the extractor, which is at an angle to the side of the gun.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »
My friend Barry who lives in PA carries his P32 in his pocket all day every day. He has killed a passle of critters with it as his FIL's dog Ben trees critters like coons, possums, ground hogs and others and won't leave or stop barking until someone comes and shoots it.

He has taken all of them cleanly with his but at times due to shot placement it takes more than one shot. He has shot that little P32 into some tall trees to bring them down. I'm not sure but think he is using Silver Tips like I do. I believe I recommended them to him after he got his P32.

I'll take a look at mine tomorrow and see if I can determine the generation of it. If I don't forget that is.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »
1st gen, here. Like it as much as the day I bought it.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 06:26:04 PM »
My friend Barry who lives in PA carries his P32 in his pocket all day every day. He has killed a passle of critters with it as his FIL's dog Ben trees critters like coons, possums, ground hogs and others and won't leave or stop barking until someone comes and shoots it.

He has taken all of them cleanly with his but at times due to shot placement it takes more than one shot. He has shot that little P32 into some tall trees to bring them down. I'm not sure but think he is using Silver Tips like I do. I believe I recommended them to him after he got his P32.

I'll take a look at mine tomorrow and see if I can determine the generation of it. If I don't forget that is.

Mr. Graybeard sir. It's really easy to tell at a glance. The hex screw mentioned holds a metal clip in place which in turn holds the break down pin in place. If there's a kinda clip right behind the ejection port, resembles a belt clip slightly,  then it's second generation. Nothing wrong with the first generation. In fact some folks prefer them.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 06:37:29 PM »
My P32 is different than my P3AT so I assume that means the P32 is first generation. I've had it quite a few years and got the P3AT and PF9 last year.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 02:06:20 AM »
My P32 is different than my P3AT so I assume that means the P32 is first generation. I've had it quite a few years and got the P3AT and PF9 last year.

Cool, how do you like your PF-9? I absolutely love mine.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 05:54:53 PM »
I've not shot the PF-9 or the P3-AT yet even tho both have been around a good while now. I was unable to locate a PF-9 so picked up the P3AT when I found it in stock to replace the P32 as my small carry gun then a couple weeks or so later foundf the PF-9 and brought it home.

I need to get out now that the weather is getting nice to make sure both are dependable enough to be carry guns. Below are photos of all three from both sides. In each photo the P3-AT is in the middle.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »
I shot the p-32 again today putting 42rnds through it.  I had a few problems with rounds chambering but it was better than before.  A little push on the slide and it would go ahead and chamber.  I think its an ammo problem.  I'll try to pick up some other ammo and see how it does.

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »
I have owned my second generation P-32 for several years and have never had a FTF or FTE using only ball ammo.  I am cautious about rim-lock using HP ammo and don't take any chances.  Because I live in Upstate New York and people tend to wear multiple layers of clothes for much of the year, I favor the penetration of ball ammo to HP.  Use S&B ammo all of the time and find it accurate at 5-7 yards and 100% reliable.  Have easily fired over 1000 rounds and only clean the pistol after shooting a box or two.

oldhunter

Offline shot1

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
I got a p-32 when they first came out and shot it some with different ammo and it ate everything right up. My carry ammo was Corbon 60 gr JHP. It is quite a bit warmer than most ammo. I had carried it for about 2 years. When I went on my annual pilgrimage to east NC for 3 weeks of deer hunting I had the occasion to shoot three wounded deer with the 32. At nearly point blank range when I shot the first deer between the eyes it just looked at me like nothing had happened. I had to shoot it through the eye to get into the brain. I had to shoot the other two deer 2 or 3 times with Remington FMJ in the head to kill them. I decided then and there NO MORE 32 ACP FOR ME.  I traded it off for a P-3AT 380 ACP. I shot a deer then the next year that had been hit by a car to finish it off. Was shooting Corbon  90 gr JHP shot was between the eyes and it blew a quarter size hole out the back of it's head. I can literally live with that.

Offline tzimm007

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »
I have a lot of FTF in my 32 any ideas? Thanks(I have been shooting the 71 grain Remingtons)

Offline smokepole06

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »
I have a Gen 1 P-32. Good Gun. Did have to do a Fluff and Buff to help with some issues. The biggest problem I had was Rim Lock. I contacted Kel-Tec told them what I was seeing. The #1 round in mag was getting behind the rim of the #2 round. They told me that the P-32 was designed for FMJ and that with recoil the #2 round would get it's rim in front of #1. They sold me an $8 rim lock spacer. So now I have 2 mags. One for FMJ and the other for HP [with spacer].

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 03:26:30 AM »
Yep, if you shoot hollow points in a P-32 you need to install what's called a " Fly Wire" in the magazine to prevent "rimlock".

tzimm007; Could be a few reasons. First, I'd make sure your P-32 is clean. Because of the small size they can be prone to malfuntion if one gets overly dirty. If clean, take and run the tip of your finger over the feeding ramp at the breech of the barrel feeling for any burrs. Lightly buffing it with emery cloth might solve your problem. If that fails, I'd try a differant magazine. Also, make sure you are not "limp wristing" when shooting it. If all that fails, send it back to Kel Tec. Besides repairing it you'll get it back with any and all upgrades plus they'll usualy do a full "Fluff & Buff" on it. Best service department anywhere!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 05:21:26 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125