Author Topic: Remington Pocket  (Read 1002 times)

Offline crossbow

• Trade Count: (0)
Remington Pocket
« on: November 15, 2003, 02:03:41 AM »
Do anybody here shoot the Remington 1862 pocket .31.I purchased the Pietta model recently and to be honest I was not expecting much in the way of shooting performance due to its small size and spur trigger.However I was wrong it is an excellent performer I have been getting groups around 2 inches firing offhand at 18 yds and the trigger is crisp as glass and breaks at under 3 pounds.I have though one gripe and that is the one common to so many percussion revolvers,it shoots 9 inches high.I do not want to do any major surgery to the gun.Has anybody got any ideas for a tempory front sight that could be used for shooting sessions.Also what experience others have had of this little gun.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Do not reactivate.

Offline bubba15301

• Avid Poster
pocket remington
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 03:59:09 PM »
had one for about 10 years now   .neat little gun my shoots high too .
BUBBA

Offline Super Rat

Remington Pocket
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 07:01:56 AM »
I've thought about getting one of those for a grouse gun. Glad to hear they shoot good.

For shooting high, the only fix is a deeper rear sight notch, or a higher front sight.

Having a taller front sight installed is worth the expense. I had a tall front sight put on my 1860 Colt, and it's really nice, shoots exactly to POA at 25yards. Made it a much more enjoyable gun to shoot and carry. Well worth the effort.
Brown Bess .75 calibre carbine, .62 calibre Jaeger, .58 Calibre slug gun.

Offline Flint

sights
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 08:09:38 AM »
Only problem I had  putting taller front sights on the 1860 Army is that it won't fit in a "Slim Jim" holster now......
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Super Rat

Remington Pocket
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 12:13:14 PM »
Hmmmmmm....mine still fits in it's slim-jim. Mine is just a "slim" sight blade, no base, soldered into a notch or groove in the barrel.

Offline Flint

slim
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 04:55:00 PM »
Mine is about 5/16 inch tall blade, but maybe my Slim Jim is slimmer than yours....  The Navies don't need that much height to bring them in.

Offline Super Rat

Remington Pocket
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 06:01:02 AM »
That could be, and the truth is that I've never been real happy with my Slim Jim. First I waited about three months for it, finally called them and they tell me "oh we forgot about it". (El Paso)

Then I asked for a slight, simple modification from standard, and they would not do that.

I never have been able to get the leather to soften up at all, it's very stiff. And, it is, "not-real-Slim", or as slim as it could be in the barrel area. But, it "works" I guess, and it holds the pistol secure. But what I really want is a custom made flap holster for ALL my pistols!

Offline tommy4toes

• Avid Poster
Remington Pocket
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 04:48:57 AM »
the easiest fix for these little shooters is to raise the front sight a little and adjust your aim - I brought mine up an inconspicuous .100" and go with a "6 o'clock" hold on the target.

t4t
PS check this out, I'm going to do this with mine. www.armsportllc.com
we've all got it coming, kid.........

Offline Flint

sights
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2003, 11:12:33 AM »
Setting the minimum for a 6 O'clock hold is OK if you are just plinking or target shooting, but if you are shooting CAS matches with more than one gun, it's too hard to remember which gun shoots where.

Offline tommy4toes

• Avid Poster
Remington Pocket
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 04:40:02 PM »
well i did the math and what the front sight needed to come up was too much, aesthetically speaking (or looking). I'm hoping the 32 S&W conversion will change the POA somewhat. Have you checked out Bob's work?

t4t

PS thanks for the advice on the 44 Colt R-M Conversion, it's doing just fine and I wouldnt feel at a loss taking it to a cowboy shoot. I put one of the Wolff spring kits in it and settled on a load of 6.5 Unique with the 200gr boolit.
we've all got it coming, kid.........

Offline crossbow

Remington Pocket
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003, 07:40:33 AM »
Tommy just how did you raise the sight ?
                                                  Thanks.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Do not reactivate.