Author Topic: 357 mag Rifle  (Read 1499 times)

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
357 mag Rifle
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:28:42 AM »
Folks.

Every now and again I think about picking up a Handi Rifle in 357 (I hand load for my Ruger).  How does the accuracy of a Handi Rifle compare to the lever guns (Marlin,etc)  Or, what kind of accuracy do you get from your 357 Handi.  I just want a plinker, medium game type of rifle.  Don't want to spend hundreds on a lever.

Thanks!

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 357 mag Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 04:49:52 AM »
Accuracy is fine within the limitations of the cartridge.  It sounds like you probably have a grip on the ins and outs of that so I'll leave it there.

The 357 is a big favorite in the Handi's.  The Handis do well with rimmed cases and the 357 is a pretty efficient round, and of course you can ream it out to 357 max.

As for how it compares to a lever, I don't have a lever in 357 but I do have the Handi so my comparison is limited.  That said, I've heard it said than a lever can deform lead projos during cycling.  That's one of those things people say but I don't really know that it's a big enough accuracy issue to worry about.  Maybe, maybe not. ( My only lever gun is a 30-30 and I shoot jacketed soft points and have never had reason to complain.)  I do know that a single shot doesn't do that.  If you're shooting a bunch of cast reloads then maybe the Handi is a better option.  Then again, generations of shooters put nothing buy lead from straight walled cased rounds through lever guns.  FWIW, that's what I got.

Offline dovehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:06:51 AM »
Mine does pretty good with all the jacketed bullets I have tried - both handloads and factory ammo - usually around 1" groups at 50-yds.  Cast bullets, on the other hand, have proven to be an enigma, at least in my barrel.  I can barely keep semi wadcutters on the target, regardless of the load.  Surprisingly though, the round nosed cowboy action type bullets will shoot nearly as good in my barrel as Jacketed bullets.  I have worked up a load using Hornady 125 gr. XTP hollow points that I am going to try on deer this fall.   It should be okay out to 100-yds. but I am going to try to restrict my shots to about 50-yds. or so.

Due to the problems I had with cast bullets I posed the .357 accuracy question on this board before.  Most of the responses said the their barrels shoot well, even using .38 specials and even at 100-yds.  I have three barrels for my Handi: the aforementioned .357, a .22 Hornet, and a .223 Rem. (which was on the gun when I bought it).  Both .22 barrels are tack drivers.  The .223 barrel, in particular, shoots everything I have tried in it almost to the same of impact at 100-yds.  I am still not completely satisfied with the accuracy from my .357 barrel but I guess it will suffice for my uses.

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:14:55 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  Every now and then I'll see a used Handi around.  Since I have a bunch of 357 stuff it would be fun to experiment.

Offline c_latrans

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:40:26 AM »
I have a 357 in the survivor model.  It's the most fun gun I own, and the most shot.  I reload and cast my own bullets, so it's almost as cheap to shoot as a 22.  I've got a 6X scope on mine and it's no problem to hit a shot gun shell at 50 yards.  Dale
It sucks to grow old, but it's still better than dying young!

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
My .357 Handi shot 1 1/4" groups at 70 yards with open sights using either American Eagle 158 grain JSP or .38 Special target wadcutters. Not bad for factory ammo and plenty of power for deer at that range.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:27:36 PM »
I, as well as many others, reamed my MAG barrel to the MAX. Accuracy for me has been less than 1" at 100yds. ;) I just started a reduced velocity load using Trail Boss powder and found that I can keep the holes touching at 50yds. If you want to stay with the MAG, I suggest you send it off to a good gunsmith, like site sponsor Wayne York, and have them give the rifle a proper throat. Although your COAL may be a little longer, you will see an immediate difference in how well the rifle shoots after that. FYI, the Hornady 180gr XTP has two crimping bands/cannelures for different COALs. ;)

That's just my 2cents worth.... ;) ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline JeffDavis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (38)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 07:43:42 PM »
Definately one of, if not THE most fun to play with of all my toys. I would nab every one I came into contact with if I just could hit that Powerball!
I have a Gardner NEF 357 mag and it is ACCURATE. It is equal or greater in accuracy to my Marlin 1894c 357 mag. And it ain't no slouch!

I think you pick up a little more velocity in the single shot as opposed to the lever, not much room to lose gases, and the extra 4 inches of barrel doesn't hurt either.

Would like to find XS Sights for the Handi; the ones on my Guide Gun are excellent for my aging eyes.

Verzilli, you could always send the barrel to me if you didn't like it ;)
REPUBLICAN: We work so you don't have to.
A friend in need is a pest.

Offline mrcoolid

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »
Go ahead and get one... your going to like having an accurate rifle to go with your Ruger...

You will be glad you did...

Mike

Offline Gohon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 06:07:53 PM »
I've had a Marlin 1894C (357 mag) for several years now and it has been my fun gun to go to.  A few months back I picked up a Handi in 357 mag.  To my surprise the Handi has a better trigger and accuracy is much better than the Marlin.  Still like my Marlin but I think the Handi will see more action from now on.  Seriously thinking about sending or taking it up to my favorite local gun smith and have him ream it to a max for me but first I have to find out if he modifies the throats for even better accuracy.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 08:27:57 AM »
Try a Wild West trigger on your Marlin.  They are great and easy to install.  Pull weight should be around 2.5 pounds.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »
Here's a couple pics of my 357 maxi's accuracy.  I think they are all max cases the first is 158gr bullet, the others 180.  She just loves to shoot.  The hole to the right on the top target is a punch hole to hang it, the bottom has one flier, I'm sure it was me.  Shot at 100yds.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »
Nice shootin revbc.  I am sure it is skill on your part.  In my case, I have a couple of guns that always make me look good.