Author Topic: 357 Reamed to Maxi Tonight  (Read 726 times)

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
357 Reamed to Maxi Tonight
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:48:20 PM »
Tim, The reamer will be heading back to you in the mail tomorrow.
I worried for a few days how I was going to pull this one off with not having a clue how other than reading hear on GB.
It took me longer to take the scope off, push out the roll pin, and remove the extractor than the ream.
You and the others were right! Take your time, taking care not to go to deep.  Keep it well lubed, clean, and check depth often. 
10-12 turns and it was done and she's still plenty sharp. What # am I?  ;D
All I can say is that I wonder why I waited so long. Ordering brass and bullets tomorrow and range pics to follow.
If you've been waiting or wondering about it being to advanced a job, It's not that big of a deal. I think having a bench and vise is needed equipment for the task.
Just go for it because it really is:

-gary
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 357 Reamed to Maxi Tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 03:10:49 AM »
I think everyone that used the reamer thought it was going to be a lot more involved than it was. I know I did! It was a pleasant surprise to find out just how easy it was.
I'm taking mine to the range today. I had a little problem at first with the forend and too much pressure on the hinge so I sanded some wood off the hinge end and bedded the forend. I'm hoping it will do better now.
Don 

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 05:04:37 AM »
I, too was pleasantly surprised!  I only had to remove about .010 worth of metal, so it took longer to clean up than to ream.

I also was very fortunate to have a barrel that already shot well, and is now even better.  This will be my walk around brush gun for deer, and will be a good one for the grandson as with the mags it has almost no recoil.  I let the tyke shoot it the other day with a maxi, and I think the muzzle blast bothered him worse than the recoil, but he didn't flinch with mags.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 05:12:01 AM »
You're going to love it.

Easy to load for, versatile, accurate, plenty of power.

Pretty flat shooting too, I was ringing the 200 yard gong 9 out of 10 shots with irons.
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 05:46:18 AM »
Congrats Gary, this was the 41st barrel it's done!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »
Isn't it amazing that so many people can use this reamer and it stays in such good shape? Great testimonial to the caliber (no pun intended ;D) of people who hang out here!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 06:14:42 AM »
Yup, I agree, gotta be the good reamer PTG makes too!! $557 have been donated to GBO from the reamer rentals so far!!  :)

Tim

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 06:34:42 AM »
Isn't it amazing that so many people can use this reamer and it stays in such good shape? Great testimonial to the caliber (no pun intended ;D) of people who hang out here!

It really is amazing Parson48. I can't say enough about the quality of folks here on GB's and there willingness to help each other with the Handi addiction.
I can say that after being here a few years, I would feel comfortable sending a tool to any longstanding member here and know it would come back to me and in the same condition it left in. Thanks again Tim. What a great way to raise $ for the board. -gary

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 06:45:41 AM »
You're welcome Gary, gotta give credit to jeepman1 too, he got sparked the idea.  ;)

Tim

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »
True Tim, many thanks to all with Handi ideas.  ::)
I want to be sure that everythings right and the brass will extracted after it goes back together,
so before I give it the final clean and polish I'll do an extractor test.
Does the roll pin need to go back in to test extraction?
The only thing left to do is debur and polish up the chamber.
Would a good method be a patch or mop with some JB bore paste, connected to a rod in a drill work?
I'm guessing that I'm just cleaning up the chamber area?
-g

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 08:09:30 AM »
The roll pin just keeps the extractor from coming out, it will test for function fine without it, I've even forgot and went to the range without it!  ::)   Any of the chamber polishing methods listed in the FAQs will work, adding power to it just makes it a quick with little effort.  ;)

Tim

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »
Congratulations on getting it done.  I was sure I was gonna screw up my chamber when I did it, but with the first one done the other 2 went quick and smooth.  Now, for the 454 Casull reamer and the throating reamer for my 38-55!  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?