Author Topic: 300 gr. round nose bullet  (Read 615 times)

Offline bullet maker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
300 gr. round nose bullet
« on: December 04, 2003, 03:05:02 AM »
Greeting everyone :D
    I just finished a very succesful deer hunt here in Okla. I harvested both my doe and buck, with my own bullets. The bullets were made from copper tubing with walls of .035, and poured my own lead cores, and after all the buisness was done, the bullet weighed 300 grs. and had a flat point. The bullet swaging dies came from Richard Corbin.
    The buck was a non typical that weighed 220 lbs, on the hoof, and after field dressing him, wighed 160 lbs. The bullet, was fired from my Marlin 444, and the bullet passed complete through the buck and never recovered. The buck had a double split beam, 7 point with 14 inch tines. Yes, I`m having him mounted. After being shot, the buck only went 20 yards and collapsed.
    Another reason to swage your own bullets, cause its, satisfying, that I harvested two deer with my own made bullets. So I`ve got meat in the frezzer for the winter, and a grin on my bearded face. :D
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
300 gr. round nose bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 11:51:21 AM »
Same here.

I took 2 bucks with my 220 gr standard cored bullets in my BLR in .358 Winchester.  That makes a total of 4 deer with my hand swaged bullets, and you're right - it's very satisfying.  

I have yet to recover a bullet from a deer (and I designed them to be expanders), so its a good thing I've done some expansion/penetration testing in wet phone books.  I've been carrying bonded cores for moose hunting, but with this performance on deer, I wonder if it's really necessary.

By the way, of the 4 deer, 2 dropped on the spot, one driven deer went about 30 yds, and one bad hit went about 75.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
deer kills
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 01:45:24 PM »
Hi Rick :D
  and congratulations. We not only talk the talk, but walk the walk.
I`m having deer chili this weekend. If you come down I`ll have a big bowl for ya. :D
bullet maker
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.