Author Topic: DEER PATTERNS  (Read 618 times)

Offline doc623

• Trade Count: (1)
DEER PATTERNS
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:45:39 AM »
New to this section as far as posting goes.
I have a question and if not the tight section feel free to move it.
The local deer patterns at my hunting range have changed this summer.
nothing noticable has changed.
This is farm country. The farming has remained the same as for the last 15-20 years.
The neighborhood is the same as it has been without any changes for the last 15-20 years.
Climate is essentially the same for this section of OH.
Crops are the same.
Farming practices are the same.
Have not noticed a significant change in wild life or anything moving in thqt was not here before.
Any thoughts?

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
Re: DEER PATTERNS
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:35:21 AM »
Changes in habitat or pressure would be my guesses.  Any poachers or dogs in the neighborhood?  Any neighbors with feeders or food plots?

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:29:31 AM »
The local deer patterns at my hunting range have changed this summer.
nothing noticable has changed.
Have not noticed a significant change in wild life or anything moving in thqt was not here before.
Any thoughts?

You have not opined as to "why or what" you think has changed.  Everything, except your premise, appears as if it were the same these past 15 years.

Given that "one piece of evidence" (15 years of "the same as it ever was"), I would venture to guess that subtle changes in the woods where the deer live and find secure habitat has been occurring. 

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:47:59 AM »
Changes in pressure- even if a neighboring property has dirt bikers or ATV riders now that might change deer movements.

Changes in food source- like someone planted a field with attractant grub for deer or put in a supplemental feeding source could change the deer movements.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:11:09 AM »
What changes have you noticed ? It is hard to track down a cause when the changes are not listed . Have your patterns changed ? Do you look at different times ? When I moved to my place 12 years ago i saw lots of deer 20 or more almost every day. Nothing else has changed that much and all summer i see the same deer - a group of 5 -2 spikes and 3 does . second pair a 4 pointer and an 8 pointer. A 10 pointer and one alot larger 22 + inch spread ( some in the 23-24 inch spread get killed near me every year or so). That's 9 deer , my daughter in law sat in a stand last week and saw over 20. The stand looks over my back yard. I guess i come and go different or something ?
So it might be you and your movement.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »
here in mo in early fall the deer patterns seem to change drastically.every year we see deer where we were not seeing them a week ago.they move up from the creekbottom behind my house to the hardwoods the other side of the road.we still see them in the creek bottoms but much more in the acorn stands of oak.which is good for me. maybe your deer are following the food?

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 03:43:16 AM »
as the trees and bushes grow the woods change and do not offer the same cover (bedding areas)
the small scrub brush is now tree size and offering a new place for the deer to feed and new bedding areas
this is what i have found were i have hunted for the past 30 years as the feilds and woods change so dose the deer movements
               rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley