Author Topic: 270 Wizard and Handi  (Read 1227 times)

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
270 Wizard and Handi
« on: August 08, 2010, 11:57:21 AM »
Tried sighting them both in today to compare. Only thing I really found out, they both stuck cases and they both hate Remington 150 grain rounds ( all I had with me today) I had polished  and cleaned the Rossi chamber but not the Handi, had been a while since I shot it. Try some 130 grain in the next few days after cleaning them both and possibly different scopes. The Wizards stock was about to fall off when I got it..

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: 270 Wizard and Handi
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:04:24 PM »
yep, a few of them wizzers have passed thru here....
they look gud but,  :-X
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:09:16 PM »
I thot I'd give one a try since I have a Rossi BB 223 that shoots an inch or less most of the time, my work truck gun. I like the idea I can buy  a Wizard barrel for $145 and not have to send it in. My TC Encores and Cotenders have always shot well but they area more  for their barrels $250, more or less now.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:48:35 PM »
i have a lot of friends that have the encore... i hear from them all the time of the costs and some few problems, i don't own any, and prolly never will. my first luv is the #1's and for one-hole shooters, next is
theses handi's !!! ;D so far the wizards have been gud shooters, but like you say.... little things seem to be
not right.  broken or missing front or rear sights, scratches on receivers and barrels.
and loose attachments.....some have been in excellent condition too....  the lock-up on the few i've seen seem to be very strong and tight. and the stocks they offer appear to be very nice.
my advice to anyone buying any firearm is... to look'um over gud for hidden suprizes :o
time will tell.  
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 02:04:08 PM »
I finally got to hold one Friday night when I went up to Jay's for reloading components.  They had the .243, .223 and 30-06 in stock.  On 2 of the 3 guns the rear stock was wobbling severely, probably just a torque issue on the nut, but not something I think you should see on a new firearm on the dealer's rack.  I don't really think the safety design was very well thought out and felt pretty cheap, like it might break and leave you unable to shoot, guess time will tell there.  The only other issue I had with it is the sights seem kind of cheap like the type supplied with many inexpensive brand muzzle loaders and since I use all sights on my guns, I'd probably have to figure out a replacement.  I still might get one some time if I have extra cash, but my next purchase is going to be a H&R 20 ga., cause I am tired of fighting to get 16 ga.  lol
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 02:25:47 PM »
Yep, my stock was loose, beginning to think they ship them that way, I Put a lock washer on mine and tightened, has been fine. Removed the sights, put an old Bushnell on it for now.........

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »
I want a Wizard too... you got any pics of yours?

Spanky

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
not yet,haven't figured how  to post them anyway

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 04:06:55 PM »
See the pic posting sticky in any of the classified forums, it's also in the FAQs.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 04:14:08 PM »
Please take some pics and range report. ;D The Wizards look pretty good... I like the looks of the new CVA Scout too. I checked with my dealer and he couldn't get his hands on a Scout yet... He's gonna call me when he can get one.

Spanky

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 04:25:36 PM »
Will shoot it again tomorrow and takes some pictures, see if Ican  learn how to add photo's, I always added  pics by email.  Only suppose to be 102 tomorrow, so should be cool enuff to shoot......

Offline Kiwi Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 10:57:41 PM »
I to would love a range report and photos about these new rossi wizards! I live downunder in New Zealand (small island west of Australia). Anyhow the guntraders down here are still waitin ,to get there hands on these new  shootin irons from rossi . Being a keen handi man already ,these new singles look just the business down here as ,the price of thompsons contenders/encores are in the $1400-$1800 nz dollars, against the rossis that are price pitched at $500 nz dollars !!!!!!!! Anyhow pleazzzzzzzzzze post your results and comments. Cheers

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 03:51:19 PM »
Shot some $13 Federal (WalMart) in the Wizard, Handi and Marlin XL7 today at 50 yards. All shot around inch which is ok, but the Marlin has done that at 100 yards before( in fact, my Marlin 7-08 shot one ragged hole today at 50 yards) So, Handi and Wizard seem equal, will try 100 later. Only thing, Wizard not ejecting cases most  of the time and when ur loading, can't let case go past ejector or it won't close, so have my gun smith take a peek, Will order a 30-06 barrel and see how the switch barrel goes..........stat tuned for boring updates.....

Offline Kiwi Hunter

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 02:01:53 AM »
Hey poncaguy  could you fill us in on how these wizzers handel the recoil in the bigger cals. the stock style looks to me to be a bit lite on stock strength around the pistol grip area ? Keep those reports comin fella  :)

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 02:49:19 PM »
They feel real good in the hands, better than Handi's, recoil was the same, not bad at all. Hope I get a chance to shoot at 100 yards soon.........

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 04:28:32 PM »
Shot some $13 Federal (WalMart) in the Wizard, Handi and Marlin XL7 today at 50 yards. All shot around inch which is ok, but the Marlin has done that at 100 yards before( in fact, my Marlin 7-08 shot one ragged hole today at 50 yards) So, Handi and Wizard seem equal, will try 100 later. Only thing, Wizard not ejecting cases most  of the time and when ur loading, can't let case go past ejector or it won't close, so have my gun smith take a peek, Will order a 30-06 barrel and see how the switch barrel goes..........stat tuned for boring updates.....
Ejector huh? Lotsa folks like ejectors, lots hate them. We call them reloaders.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 04:31:44 PM »
Needs a stronger spring I guess, have  my gunsmith take a look..........

Offline Kiwi Hunter

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 05:32:39 PM »
Do you have the timber stock or the camo plastic stock? I love how my handi handels so it sounds promising for the wizard .Down here they have not advised the full range of barrells you folks in the states get ,so I'm thinkin once I get me hands on a wizza frame I'll import a few different barrels like a .45 black powder and 7.62x39 just cause I can ,looks like alotta fun . yeeeeehaaaaaaaa

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
Wood stock.......going to do more shooting tomorrow..........

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 05:39:02 PM »
Are the Rossi and NEF barrels anyway interchangeable? All I have is pictures to go by...Haven't seen hide nor hair of ANY kind of Rossi in my neck of the woods.  They do have some very desirable features...wish I could get hold of a couple to check out...without BUYING them.  ;D

Luck

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 03:45:49 AM »
nope........Handi and Rossi barrels different.........

Offline Kiwi Hunter

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 01:40:09 PM »
Looking forward to your range report. How well do the barrels interchange? Accuracy? Can you post a few photos please?