Author Topic: New to me 25/06 Handi  (Read 352 times)

Offline Fortkevin2

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Avid Poster
New to me 25/06 Handi
« on: August 28, 2010, 08:37:05 AM »
Just picked up a 25/06 from burnedoutgeek last night.

Here is with the tac buttstock when I purchased it

I then put a youth synthetic stock I had laying around on it. Should be a tad bit longer overall but much safer. I read on Greybeards that one of these tac stocks had collapsed upon firing and it caused a bunch of damage to the guys face. It feels sturdier overall

The barrel has been cut to 20" from the original 26". I know it's good to have that extra 6" for velocity purposes but I like the feel of the "shortie" barrel. I haven't fired it yet but I bet it's going to have some muzzle blast!

Offline Fortkevin2

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Avid Poster
Re: New to me 25/06 Handi
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 08:38:53 AM »
I currently cast and am going to do the same for the 25/06. What do you guys recommend load wise? I'm going to have to stick with lee molds as that's all that's in my budget right now. I'm going to gas check and water drop so I can run them fairly fast.

Offline Whopper

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:20:21 AM »
When you figure out a good cast bullet and powder load for the .25-06 let me know too will ya' ;D.  I've got a 26" barrel and I love shooting real lead ;). I do know that my barrel DOES NOT like the 115gr. Barnes Triple Shock bullets. At 100 Yards the best we could muster up was about a 5" group  >:(.  It did better with Hornady 117gr. Interlock SPP BT bullets but still wasn't very impressed. Good luck to ya'.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 11:35:13 AM »
I have a .35 Whelen and a .350 Win Mag both with 18" barrels.  Muzzle blast is no more noticable to me with them than when shooting the same calibers with 26 and 22 inch barrels.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.