Author Topic: Clearing our home  (Read 1021 times)

Offline zeke08

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Clearing our home
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:11:55 AM »
Just wondered if anyone practices clearing their homes with different weapons and lighting scenario's. With the way times are and home invasions on the rise I would hope people are practicing so as not to be caught off guard. Do you clear by your self or with a family member. Do you have a pre-plan for different scenario's that may arise? I practice with my wife, with my police K-9, by myself with numerous guns in the dark with and without a light and during daylight.
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline jimster

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Clearing our home
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 11:07:54 AM »
Since I don't have kids and don't have to round them up/get to them, I kind of decided all I need to do was secure my perimeter, there are both regular phones and cell phones where we sleep, the perp walks through the door I have the advantage, I go looking for him, maybe 50-50 or worse if he gets a lucky shot off real fast, he might even see me first if I go looking, that gives him the advantage. I like the idea of someone walking through the door with me pointing at it myself. I'm not really trained to clear a house, if I am forced into it I will, if I'm not forced I'll sit tight and wait for them to come to me. Chances of me surviving are good if the come to me, their chances of survival are real bad.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
Home defense to me starts outside.
All sorts of little things to let me know someone is there
before they get inside. Even down to what types of plants
the yard is landscaped with. Yucca and Firethorn are formidable
barriers especially if planted under windows. can still jump out,
but climbing in will be quite difficult. Plan a good defense
and clearing may not be needed for things bumping in the night.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 05:14:55 PM »
Since I don't have kids and don't have to round them up/get to them, I kind of decided all I need to do was secure my perimeter, there are both regular phones and cell phones where we sleep, the perp walks through the door I have the advantage, I go looking for him, maybe 50-50 or worse if he gets a lucky shot off real fast, he might even see me first if I go looking, that gives him the advantage. I like the idea of someone walking through the door with me pointing at it myself. I'm not really trained to clear a house, if I am forced into it I will, if I'm not forced I'll sit tight and wait for them to come to me. Chances of me surviving are good if the come to me, their chances of survival are real bad.
Its wise to get a good alarm system. The hope is that the alarm goes off,the police are called immediately and you are instantly alerted. Then sit tight and cover the door. If your big screen TV is worth your life (and perhaps your families),feel free to go clear your house. If you have kids,then its a little different,your going to want to grab the wife and secure the kids but its the same idea. It just seems to me clearing your house is asking to get shot. Think about it this way,the whole idea of using deadly force to protect your home rests on the assumption that the intruder IS armed. In many (most?) states,even in your own home,you must believe your in danger of injury or death to use deadly force. (Lets not get into whether you could lie about it and get away with it.) The only difference is that (at least in many states) you don't have to retreat from your own home to diffuse the situation. Its also perhaps easier to justify your belief that your life was in danger from a burglar in your own home as well.  If you start from the assumption the burglar is armed and going to kill you or your family,going out to find him is just plain stupid.

It also makes it a lot easier to justify what happened when the alarm company calls,or you call 911 if you chose not to get an alarm,and your heard on the tape yelling down the hall,"The police are on their way and I have a shotgun,its probably best for you to clear out" If he still comes through the door its pretty clear you had no choice but to blow a nice big hole in his chest. It might hurt your pride "cowering" behind the bedroom door (if your one of those people that consider covering the door and waiting for the intruder to poke his head through so you can blow it off cowering) while someone steals your stuff,but ask yourself,would your wife and children rather have the Xbox or you?

Offline zeke08

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:07 PM »
At no point do I believe anyone is going to try and save an xbox nor do I believe you should try to just hunt an armed burglar, but there are times when you may have to. I would have to clear part of my house to get my child do to the lay out of the house. Also if I come in and find that entry had been made and I'm neck deep in the house I would have to clear my way out. I'm not asking for John Wayne type antics just down to earth real world pre planning.
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 05:14:53 AM »
Nothing wrong with practice unloaded gun of course.  At least it makes you familiar with what your house looks like in reduced light.  If I really heard a racket I'd stay put with the shotgun and wait for them to come to me as I live alone.  If I had family members around that's a different story.  But occasionally I hear one thump that wakes me up (I think it's the air conditioner kicking off).  I don't hear anything else for minutes but now I can't get back to sleep until I check around with the handgun.  I'm not going to call the police 5 times a year b/c of this.

Offline jimster

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:12:08 AM »
Its wise to get a good alarm system. The hope is that the alarm goes off,the police are called immediately and you are instantly alerted. Then sit tight and cover the door. If your big screen TV is worth your life (and perhaps your families),feel free to go clear your house. If you have kids,then its a little different,your going to want to grab the wife and secure the kids but its the same idea. It just seems to me clearing your house is asking to get shot. Think about it this way,the whole idea of using deadly force to protect your home rests on the assumption that the intruder IS armed. In many (most?) states,even in your own home,you must believe your in danger of injury or death to use deadly force. (Lets not get into whether you could lie about it and get away with it.) The only difference is that (at least in many states) you don't have to retreat from your own home to diffuse the situation. Its also perhaps easier to justify your belief that your life was in danger from a burglar in your own home as well.  If you start from the assumption the burglar is armed and going to kill you or your family,going out to find him is just plain stupid.

It also makes it a lot easier to justify what happened when the alarm company calls,or you call 911 if you chose not to get an alarm,and your heard on the tape yelling down the hall,"The police are on their way and I have a shotgun,its probably best for you to clear out" If he still comes through the door its pretty clear you had no choice but to blow a nice big hole in his chest. It might hurt your pride "cowering" behind the bedroom door (if your one of those people that consider covering the door and waiting for the intruder to poke his head through so you can blow it off cowering) while someone steals your stuff,but ask yourself,would your wife and children rather have the Xbox or you?

I have a good alarm system, two dogs, alaways had at least two dogs, they raise heck if anyone is even close to the house.  Now sometimes this could be a pain, but I never tell them to shut up cause they are my alarm system. 

I don't feel securing my perimeter is "cowering" either...it's called ambush...and it works well. I will clear my place if I think I HAVE to for some reason...but it would have to be a good reason...I like the ambush thing.  I live in a state where I can defend against anyone or anything if I feel threatened and it does not matter if the criminal is armed or not...and even if I didn't live in a state like this one, I'm going to do what I need to do anyway. The authorities can sort it all out later.  Yes...much different deal with kids or family members scattered about the house/property...a whole other deal there.  My wife and myself and the dogs are all we have in our house now. 

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »

I have a good alarm system, two dogs, alaways had at least two dogs, they raise heck if anyone is even close to the house.  Now sometimes this could be a pain, but I never tell them to shut up cause they are my alarm system. 

I don't feel securing my perimeter is "cowering" either...it's called ambush...and it works well. I will clear my place if I think I HAVE to for some reason...but it would have to be a good reason...I like the ambush thing.  I live in a state where I can defend against anyone or anything if I feel threatened and it does not matter if the criminal is armed or not...and even if I didn't live in a state like this one, I'm going to do what I need to do anyway. The authorities can sort it all out later.  Yes...much different deal with kids or family members scattered about the house/property...a whole other deal there.  My wife and myself and the dogs are all we have in our house now. 

I suspect with two dogs,assuming they are rather robust dogs,not little yappy (I have nothing against the little ones,my neighbor has one and shes a really sweet dog,just not that scary) things,that a burglar isn't going to wait around for you to come find him.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »
I completely agree that the best way to carry out a plan is to practice.
One thing I would suggest is to know where the most solid points in your home are.
Stone fireplace fronts, cast iron bathtubs, I have even known folks who have reinforced
certain areas in their walls with thick aluminum plate. Plating the underside of a coffee table
was another interesting idea. Flip it on it's side and you have a decent protective device.You need to know
what is good cover and what is not. I live so far from the nearest police dept.
that hunkering down and waiting for help is not an option.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 02:14:48 AM »
no kids here now ..so the plan is to call 911 if i hear disturbance in the house[good little barking watch dog in the room with me]..tellum they need to come in with blue lights an siren wide open..
right now the ole num 4 buckshot coyote medicine is the prefered load for my 12 ga semi auto..27 pellets..then 18 velocitors from my marlin 60..they can have the house,until leo gets there..but coming through my bedroom door would be a mistake..hope i never have to put the plan into action..im 63 an don t know that ive ever killed a man..
 hope i can keep it that way..
 have a plan ,know it well.know yourself..
 motion flood lights  outside that ought to turn around any would be intruder..if he s not just a dimwit..
 thats my plan ..you have to make a plan that fits your situation..you don t need to be killing your kid that pays a surprize visit home from college or whatever..
mostly ,as i see it ..its just a matter of thinking it through an being ready to adjust the plan for what really is happening..good luck. slim