Author Topic: Hammer Question  (Read 736 times)

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Hammer Question
« on: August 07, 2010, 04:45:58 AM »
I had trouble with my USH 20 ga missfiring I replaced the hammer spring haven't shot it enough to be 100% sure if its fixed. Whats the proper firing pin protusion? Are new pins long and need fitted or if I need more lenght should I file of the front of the hammer?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Hammer Question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:07:53 AM »
I haven't worked with a shotgun yet, but rifles should have .040-.050" pin projection and I prefer a bit more, up to .060", that's with the hammer cocked and lowered with the trigger pulled back to keep the transfer bar up so the pin extends thru the standing breech face. You can take metal off the tip of the hammer where it stops against the frame, or from the recess in the frame that the transfer bar stops against, you have to be careful removing material from the hammer face so it doesn't allow the hammer to contact the firing pin directly which can happen if you remove too much from the hammer face. There's more info on improving pin strike on Fred M's website, there's a link in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 03:47:03 PM »
do you have a hammer spur on? could it be low enough on the hammer that its hitting the barrel release impeeding the hammer strike. or could the hammer be hitting the ocular bell of the scope?
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:27:06 AM »
Its not hitting anything The missfires are a common problem with some of the USHs mostly seems to be the 20 Gauges. No one seems to know for sure why. weak hammer springs, short firing pins, chamber cut too deep or all three

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »
I'll have to watch for that deep chamber I just put a 20ga USH barrel on my TDC frame. I haven't shot it yet. Was waiting for my dealer up the road to get in some 20ga Buck hammers, But might try some lightfeilds through it tomorrow.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:55:55 PM »
I had to file a little bit of metal off the face of the ejector on one of my rimmed cartridge handis to eliminate FTFs.  The rim cut in the chamber and on the ejector was too deep for some of the brass I was using so the spring held the ejector firm againist the receiver but there was several thousand headspace on some of the brass I was using.  I filed down the ejector face and eliminated the problem.  If you have an extractor barrel then better talk to Tim on how to fix this type of headspace problem, assuming that is your problem.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
Shotgun barrels all have ejectors as far as I know, no one has reported an extractor...... yet.

Tim

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 03:01:21 PM »
My USH has that too the ejector is thicker than the rim of the shell . I going to file some off it. I'am going to have to get better files if I'am going to take any off the hammer its harder then my file. Anyone ever use any of the diamond ones?Any suggestions
                                                     Thanks
                                                         Bill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »
I use my belt sander to work the extractor/ejector face down.

Tim

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »
Filed some off the hammer firing pin was around .037 it nows .046.Took some off the ejector too.Went to shoot it had three misfires out of seven tries.Think I'am going to call H&R tomorrow about sending it back. Even with the new hammer spring the hammer seem slow,weaker than my other NEF guns. Is any one having any trouble with the new lightweight H&R 20Ga. slug guns If I knew for sure they would go off every time I would just get one of them