Author Topic: rechamber question  (Read 364 times)

Offline 45LCshoooter

• Trade Count: (0)
rechamber question
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:10:55 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but i've not seen it addressed after a quick search:

When doing a rechamber that doesn't match your original base and rim size, how do you modify the extractor?

I don't think i would want to try to cut it while doing the chamber job imagining some issue with differing metals and shavings getting caught between parts.

I want to do a sleeve job to make a 45 ACP and i can simply groove the sleeve for the extractor and use a 308 extractor; but i eventually want to do a stub barrel 500/450 Nitro and that would call for something totally different.
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
Re: rechamber question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »
Just buy a couple 223 extractors, a mill the size of the case. ~1/2" and size of the rim, ~5/8", then measure and mill.  You could use a grind stone or there are many tools, just look through an industrial tooling catalog for the right cutting tool.  There are burrs, key cutters, mills, grinding stones, slitting saws etc, or any machine shop could do it.

Let Ed Hubel do the job and save yourself a lot of work.

Luck

Offline 45LCshoooter

Re: rechamber question
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 07:35:33 PM »
LOL, Ed would get a kick out of the big bore aspect of it...he advised me on a 20 bore project i did a few years ago...
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien