Author Topic: idpa and concealed carry  (Read 1317 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
idpa and concealed carry
« on: December 09, 2003, 02:10:40 AM »
now folks i have never owned a holster, but if i/when i get into this idpa thing it looks like i'm gonna have to get some/one.
i have been looking at some holsters and belts and would like your comments, advice suggestions, directions, and lies :D  on the ones i've looked at.
holsters:
horseshoe leather-looks like good quality too me.
tucker gun leather- like his stufff and he's local.
andrews leather-seems to be quality but his web sucks. no pricing.
alessi- seems to be good and cs is great according to folks but his web is down.
belts:
a little bit of confusion here as each maker touts his stuff. leather choices seem to run from latigo, english bridle, and combos. i have figured that a 10/12 oz leather will be needed for a full size semi so iguess i need to size for the largest.
horseshoe stuff looks good to me, dressy and sharp. i probable will get a ranger belt also-i like the look and it's pretty dressy in a texas kind of way.
several makers of belts i like, but your thoughts and advice is what i want.
a small disclaimer here--belt no larger than 1 1/4"--i want to be able to wear it when not armed. would like it to be fairly thin. the double lined or lined seem to yell, thick, and i'm not sure this would be as comfortable as a single strap-but i'm also afraid of rolling over and streaching.
i'm almost sure i do not want an iwb rig-lessen you folks can convience me.
all comments welcome
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 03:19:57 AM »
Hey William,
I see you are leaning toward a quality leather rig. You can't go wrong there! I have a horse hide "Royal Guard" IWB from Galco, and a three slot paddle by Hunter. Other than duty rigs that's about all the leather I own. Everything else is Fobus or Uncle Mike's. I find myself using these more often than not when I'm using a holster at all. You're on the right track with a good Ranger belt. Just make sure it's a good heavy leather one. My dress belts are either bought at the western store or the police supply store. The police belts are thinner than the rangers, but are very rigid due to a insert sewn into the belt. A good belt is just as important as a good holster! Especially when you're wearing a full size gun!  I don't care much for the IWB holsters. I find them too uncomfortable. When I carry IWB I use a belt clip to reduce bulk. If you want to use this rig for CCW be sure to get one that rides high on the belt, I like a little forward cant on mine as well.  All these are personal prefferences, and may not suit you. Over the years I have bought dozens of holsters, most I have given/thrown away. They all looked like a good idea at the time. I can make you a heck of a deal on a "Pager Pal" if you're interested!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 12:24:35 PM »
mr savage sir-
thanx fer tha reply. yes, over the years i have discovered that i make better choices and in the long run spend less money if i can figure out what i want and get as good as i can afford.
i been noticing some of tha local le's i know or know of an i have not seen a iwb yet. now i aint frisked em, just nosed a little.
horseshoe claims his 1.25 belt in the english bridle, i believe a 10/12 oz piece of goods, is ample for a full size semi.
too bad he does not make a ranger style. the horseshoe belt is almost a certainty but the ranger is what i'm trying to decide on, well that an tha scabbard thang.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 12:31:24 PM »
THIS POST SHOULD BE FOR ISPC :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 12:33:31 PM »
THIS POST SHOULD BE FOR ISPC :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 12:38:05 PM »
comp-tac.com thats all i use anymore

Offline Savage

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 01:37:56 PM »
Deputy,
The comp-tac stuff looks good. Is it twice as good as the Fobus/Uncle Mike's lines that sell for about half the money?
Savage

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 03:55:00 PM »
I love ther stuff some of my best time's ever i use it off duty as well and sometimes on  the ctac is great!  and th elocking paddle cant be beat

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2003, 11:40:14 PM »
how is it on the clothes and belts, wear wise that is? i never thought of going this way. was just thinking leather.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 01:17:21 AM »
To me there are several advantages to Kydex over leater. Once I started using kydex my leather holster inventory started to get smaller. The two leather ones I have left are rarely worn. I have a suitcase full of kydex for all my carry guns, paddles, belt holsters, mag holders, ect. I like the Blade Tec stuff too, but way to pricey for my tastes when I can buy the Fobus/Uncle Mike's stuff for 75% less. I'm gonna get my hands on some comp-tec and see how it compares to the cheaper stuff. I priced a comp-tec holster for my mdl 21 (red of course) at $42+ shipping. Not too bad!
Savage

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 04:09:42 AM »
savage, i will bet my farm that you toss out the foubus/um stuff the minute you touch the comp tac!  they just dont come close call comp tac and ask for shannon! tell here you know steve from michigan! it is by far the best rigs i have ever used.

Offline redial

• Contributor
idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 04:43:03 PM »
With so much good stuff available (unless you're lefthanded!), it's hard to go wrong if you stay with name-brand good stuff. Sounds simplistic, but it's been my sometimes unfortunate experience with leather, boots and optics that you really do get what you pay for!

Since I'm a desk-dork anymore, I shoot the paddle holster that I carry every day. I've never been one for "match only" gear and I always shoot my carry gun. Just my 2 cents.

Have a great time!

Redial

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 05:21:58 PM »
thats my thinking redial. what do you have?
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 03:37:11 AM »
Haven't seen the 2004 list of approved IDPA holsters. Last I heard the Kydex models I use are still approved. Like redial, I shoot what I carry, generally a Kimber SS Target or a Glock 21. That covers me in the CDP and SSP classes. I shot my 4" Mdl 29 S&W in the SSR a couple of times. Never tried it with my 4" Mdl 19 S & W.  I have kydex for all these. I have a number of BUGs that I shoot when they have a BUG side match. I have been so busy that I haven't been to a match in months. I'm going to go this Sat the 13th. I work a swing tonight and don't have to go back out till the 17th! Looks like it'll be rainy and cold, that should make the match go a little faster!!
Savage

Offline redial

• Contributor
idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2003, 07:41:05 PM »
I shoot a Safariland paddle holster, lefty for a Series 70 Govt Model. It's made of Safariland's black laminate that they use in most of their duty rigs and rides quite high and close. I've worn it daily for several years now. I just took it off a couple minutes ago looking for model numbers to reference but the best I can find on it is 39.98 - whatever that means.

Another I like is a minimal leather holster from Galco that leaves the bottom 2" of the slide exposed. Kinda like a Yaqui slide for full-figured gals, if you will. :) Both are sturdy, STIFF and put together right. Neither was cheap!

Cheers!

Redial

Offline Savage

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2003, 02:20:45 AM »
I like the Safariland line. My nylon rigs have the Safariland SLS holsters on them. My leather stuff is reserved for class A, or civilian wear to court. An other time it's kydex if I wear a holster!
Savage

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2003, 03:15:03 AM »
anybody here got a rec. for a ranger belt maker.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2003, 03:41:24 AM »
William,
Try Dillon and Wilson. The both sell ranger belts. Don't tell me you don't have any western stores in Texas!
Savage

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2003, 06:58:21 AM »
you would be surprised at the number of western stores within walking distance. The quality of belts is not very good however. years ago you could get good belts but i been lookin an its pretty cheap (as in quality) these days.
This belt is going to half to be better than those to do the job. Almost to a man the leo's i questioned had to order theirs, an, well, i'm kinda particular i guess.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2003, 07:55:56 AM »
William,
I'll say it again, the belt is just as important as the holster! We have a pretty good western store near here where you can still buy the heavy leather belts. The other belts I have are the police belts with the hard plastic or metal inserts sewn in between the layers of leather. These are made for weapons carry and work very well. I like the look of the ranger belt and still have one that's about 10yrs old. When you buy good stuf it lasts for a while! The Dillon belts look good, although I haven't tried them.
Happy Hunting!!
Savage

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2003, 08:09:41 AM »
Will, these are a bit pricey but.....  
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp?ProductID=1322&CatalogID=254
I'm anxiously awaiting your opinion when you get one!!   :)
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2003, 12:53:59 PM »
well i have looked here. these are 1 1/2" and i can not use one over 1 1/4" because of some pants plus i do not like a bely that wide. thanx for the tip though.
big ed said he could accomodate--i'll talk to him soon.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2003, 12:06:53 PM »
well boys this is what i did.
I got two scabbards from horseshoe. one for the p220 an one for the p239. Tucker was a close call but i had too admit that i wanted horseshoe holsters.
I got belts from N R Hunt- they impressed me with their quality and workmanship. They were not too far out of range from the others. I got a ranger and a straight strap.
Thanx for the advice and input from you guys, it was a help.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2003, 08:07:00 AM »
Tried many holsters for the years.  Most ended up traded off because they didn't work as expected.  Most of the trouble was with my belt.  I've always worn a heavy belt, but that is not enough.  It must resist the twisting motion of a holster and gun (especially with us heavy guys).  I now use only the Aker agent belt.  This belt is a little thicker than most as it has a plastic stiffener in the middle.  Now my holsters no longer sag outward as before.  I also use Blade-tec holsters for my CCW.  Don't sweat through, stay put, and hold their shape for reholstering.  I use the same IWB holsters for IDPA that I wear everyday.  I find the IWB easier to conceal in most situations.  The trick with IWB is to buy your pants one size larger to allow room for the gun.  That's what has worked for me for the last 15 years!    44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2004, 01:53:16 AM »
UPDATE!
Recieved the two holsters from Horshoe leather yesterday. They are both all I expected. Critical look found no flaws. Fit to guns is very good. Workmanship is excellent. I can reccommend Horshoe.
Business like approch was very good, Communications dispeled any fears.
I know some of you boys like the Kydex but I guess I'm too old and like leather.
The belts are on the bench and communications indicate a mid Feb. delivery. This is about in line with first communications if not a little sooner.
The belts are the issue but am confidant they will be very good. Spent too much money but good belts last a life.
Will keep ya appraised.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Nobody

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2004, 03:37:32 AM »
Comp-tac.  Had a Fobus...for about two days.  Just about dislocated my should trying to draw the pistol.  Fobus has a little, well, a lot too much retention for me.

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2004, 04:06:35 AM »
Belts recieved from NRHUNT Studios.
They are, just as the holsters, maybe a bit prettier, all I could have expected and all that I hoped for.
I reccomend NRHUNT. The buckles are very special.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2004, 11:36:25 AM »
Andrews Leather is the best I've seen in quite a while, and you're right - the website sucks. I live in Florida, and they are a local company. I've seen them at the local gun shows. Quality is excellent, and they are knowledgeable and plain old good guys. I have three of their holsters.

Offline williamlayton

idpa and concealed carry
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2004, 09:46:33 PM »
The only problem I had with what I read was the lining. I'm not in favor of their lining. Well that and they never answered my letter.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD