Author Topic: My first deer  (Read 761 times)

Offline Jax

• Trade Count: (0)
My first deer
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
Got him in SE MO.  Sat on a logging road for 3 days seeing nothing, and this guy showed his face.  Saw antlers move in the weeds, and my heart about jumped out of my chest!  After a quick deep breath, I found him in my scope, and he was staring at me, I got nervous and shot him in the neck.  He dropped in his tracks!  My heart dropped when I went to count the points and he was missing his whole left side  :'(    Still not bad for my first deer  ;)   I have a local taxidermist looking for a close match and I might get to mount him on the wall.
Justin

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
Re: My first deer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 03:51:57 PM »
congratulations on first deer. if you kill 1000 more you will never  forget this one :D

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 04:08:32 PM »
Patience! 3 days on the same road. Nice buck, I've seen hundreds of bucks but none without evidence of  having another antler on the other side, no base, no nuthin! anyway that's a good lookin Reminginton-Muddy

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »
I'm proud for ya!   ;D  Deer is like wimmins, you'll never forget the first one!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:18:22 PM »
Good job!

Ya' know, that would make an interesting mount just like it is......

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 03:49:02 AM »
I agree with mechanic. I would have him mounted as is.If a head like that can't get the hunting stories started, nothing can.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Jax

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 05:17:27 AM »
He did have his other antler at one time.  Must have lost it in a fight.  He had a hole in his back, and shoulder from fighting!  The word on the mountain after I shot this guy was that theres a 3 antlered buck on the loose!!   ;D   It would be neat to see his fighting buddy and with my antler still stuck in the other deers rack! 

As for mounting with 1 antler, That was the word in deer camp too, but im just not too sure I want to spend that kind of money and mount him like that.  My mind could change tho.   

thanks
justin
Justin

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:37:20 PM »
Congratulations on your first deer. Patience pays off.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein