Author Topic: 20 Ga TDC; 1, A-Zoom Snap-cap; 0  (Read 507 times)

Offline MacTech

• Trade Count: (0)
20 Ga TDC; 1, A-Zoom Snap-cap; 0
« on: August 20, 2010, 02:59:20 PM »
I thought this was somewhat amusing, I'e been getting in some dry-fire practice to familiarize myself with my TDC 20 Ga, I'm using the aluminum A-Zoom snap caps, I just ejected the primary snap cap, only to find that the TDC's firing pin had literally knocked the squishy striker zone sideways, *literally*, the squishy had been knocked out of position...

That's either one *powerful* firing pin, or one *weak* snap-cap... maybe both...

It was interesting to discover that the squishy striker is really nothing more than a 1/8" thick clear membrane (silicone?) and nothing is holding it in place, other than a narrow "shelf" machined into the hole the striker sits in, I was expecting the entire hole to be filled with some form of impact absorbing compound (plastic or silicone)

I've sent off an e-mail to Lyman Products to see what their replacement policy is, I'm sure it wouldn't be financially feasable to repair a snap-cap, depending on their response, I may just experiment with this one, perhaps get a tube of windshield silicone and fill the hole to the top, so the entire hole is filled with an impact absorbing compound, or maybe just super glue it in place...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 20 Ga TDC; 1, A-Zoom Snap-cap; 0
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »
Don't try to reinvent the wheel!! ;D

Tim

HOMEMADE SNAPCAPS from the FAQs
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: 20 Ga TDC; 1, A-Zoom Snap-cap; 0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:02:22 PM »
Will a pencil easer fit?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974