Author Topic: .45 ACP large primer brass vs. small primer brass?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
.45 ACP large primer brass vs. small primer brass?
« on: August 31, 2010, 03:58:15 PM »
I just acquired a new, to me that is, 1911 and of course I can't wait to load up some cartridges. I'm not very familiar with the .45 ACP but I thought that all cases had large primers. While perusing  auction sites in search of brass I found listings for both small and large primer 45acp cases. What the heck??? I assume that the larger primers allow better powder ignition but I could be wrong. Is there any real difference other than the primer sizes? Will it make a difference for my handloads?  I plan to use W231 exclusively.

As always, input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: .45 ACP large primer brass vs. small primer brass?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:19:46 PM »
Very little difference. The small primer cases are "green", no lead primers and the flash hole is slightly larger.   I read an article in Handloader about large vs small pistol primers in the 45 ACP and there was a little difference in velocity, with large pistol primer being a bit faster (from what I remember, less than 100 fps). A problem is mixing cases when reloading on and trying to seat a large pistol primer in a small primer pockets. If I were starting to load 45 ACP, I'd stay with the "standard" large pistol primer

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:13:23 AM »
 45acp brass can be had fairly cheap from the sellers on high traffic sites. I think my last was $45 1000 shipped. You may do better than that. For the most part cases should take the large pistol primers. I have not run into any of the small & they may of been sorted out. I have enough cases where I would just set aside any small & stick with LP primers. I've been using Titegroup & H Universal in the 45 acp lately.
NRA, Veteran

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:22:45 AM »
I've run into some of the small primer pocket brass. Just segragate it out, and hand prime it, as I don't want to change the Dillion over for that few rds. And run it thru just like std brass. I've been using std sm primers, seem to work ok. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline dovehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 04:08:07 AM »
I run across the small primer cases on occasion when scrounging brass at my club range.  I have always worried about accidentally trying to seat a large primer in one of these cases (since they will decap okay).  I just chuck them in the trash can now whenever I find them so as not to accidentally pick the same cases up again.  What I have read also suggests that there is no particular advantage to cases with the small primer pocket.