Author Topic: anyone have a Cabela's Blue Ridge?  (Read 662 times)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
anyone have a Cabela's Blue Ridge?
« on: October 16, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Blue Ridge rifles that Cabelas sells? I was thinking of a .45 cal perc. rifle.

Thanks
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Re: anyone have a Cabela's Blue Ridge?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »
You might want to consider a 50 caliber.  It's easier to get supplies in 50 caliber.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 05:19:39 PM »
  I'm already set up for .45 cal... I just don't know anything about the Blue ridge rifles.

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:16:20 AM »
I've owned a Blue Ridge .45 flintlock for over 15 years and it is rare for me to keep any rifle that long. It was the Blue Ridge that made me a flintlock shooter. I had owned several flints over the years and always either traded them off or converted them to percussion. The Blue Ridge has a good lock and that makes all the difference. With a percussion all that is needed is for the hammer to fall hard enough to bust a cap but with flint it is either just right or all wrong and my Blue Ridge is just right. It is not the most accurate rifle I own but first place at many rendezvous shoots seems to be good enough. The price these days is getting up close to the low end custom rifles but the quality is also right up there. They have been criticized as being not period correct but I have seen photos of original rifles which could pass for a Blue Ridge.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:18:34 AM »

Thanks Joe, that's what I was looking to find out. I had a Cabin Creek .45 for years but got out of M/L's all together. I was thinking that 1:48 seems a bit fast for a RB twist but I guess if you don't hot rod it too much it could be OK.

I'm way past period correct too. That stuff is way overboard for me these days.