Author Topic: Russian .22 rimfire bolt action rifles?  (Read 2507 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Russian .22 rimfire bolt action rifles?
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:07:28 AM »
Was at a gunshop the other day and they had 2 Russian made bolt action rifles in .22 rimfire.  They were priced around $190.00 new.  The stock was a little narrow at the forearm, but ok on the butt area, dovetail sights, and grooved for  scope mounting.  The magazine was plastic.  Sorry, don't remember the brand name.

When I was living in Minnesota there was a dealer that had one like it and it took along time for him to sell it off.  I have never heard of the Russians using soft steel, but years of Communist rule has given them the reputation of poor quality in their products.  I used to have a SAIGA rifle, it was ok, but it was a modified AK-47.  The gun looks interesting for another rimfire gun in my collection, can't beat the price either.  Does anyone have one of these new made Russian .22s?  Would I be wasting my money on one of them?

Thanks.

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Russian .22 rimfire bolt action rifles?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:54 AM »
Get yourself a good Czech one instead.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »
I don't, but I know that the bolt action wood stocked Mossberg Plinkster or the Marlin 925 with wood stock are both about that same price.  I personally have thousands of rounds through my Marlin and have read good things about the Mossberg as well.  Both are about the same price.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:07:34 AM »
i have a russian trainer .22 bolt
i have had to clean up the bolt area with a fine file
it has the flip up sights 25/50/100 yrds
is it  accurite i had 2.5 in groups at  50 yrds  with cci stingers
i do like it but not as well as my marlin 25 mn .22 mag but that is apples to oranges
         rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline His lordship.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
I forgot to mention that it had "Winchester" marked on it.  I checked the Winchester site and there was nothing mentioned, Remington does that too with their Serbian (Zastava) made rifles, I hate it when they do that.  Why offer a product and then hide it on your web site? ::)

I have a CZ in .22 already, excellent rifle, looking at their full Manlicher stocked version, I have never owned a Mossberg, used to have several Marlins.  I guess I was attracted to the "exotic" aspect of the Russian gun.  Parts might be hard to get down the road though. 

Offline Frank46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
Go over to rimfirecentral.com and scroll down to the russian biathalon section. You will get a lot of info on these rifles. More than you will ever want to know about these rifles. if there was anything wrong with them you can find it there. Frank