Author Topic: New to cannons and mortars.  (Read 680 times)

Offline madboom

• Trade Count: (0)
New to cannons and mortars.
« on: September 05, 2010, 04:51:58 PM »
Ordered a 3" bore coehorn mortar and hardware kit from Hern's two weeks ago and likely will take another week.  Joel at Hern's suggested your site for further information on cannoneering. Been reading all that I can about mortars on the internet.  Up to this point the only cannon i've fired is one of those Big Bang Cannons.  Went to my first  Civil War Reenactment couple of weeks ago in Boscobel Wisconsin and got hooked! Talked to some of the cannoneers there and found them very helpful.  Would like to have any suggestions that anyone might have. Found an old barn timber made of Douglas Fur to make the sled.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: New to cannons and mortars.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »
madboom --

WELCOME to the board!!

You've a lot of fun in the future - in both putting it all together and firing it too.

Finding ammo is going to be a game too.   I build mine in calibers of common things like golf-balls and beer cans.  Do you have any source identified?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline madboom

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »
Hi Tim,

Black powder is scarce to say the least here in Wisconsin.  May have found one store in the Madison area.  The owner said he can get it when he gets back from vacation.  Also talked to a store in Mineral Ill. but that would be a couple hour drive.  The handleing of black powder does concern me, especially after reading about cannon accidents in Artilleryman Magazine.  I read conflicting views whether or not to use plastic bags when making up charges. At this point aluminum foil is all that I'd use.  Have a couple of uncles that have put together BP rifle kits and have been talking to them but they don't have any experience with BP cannons or mortars. Soup cans are just under 3" which sounds about perfect for the windage.  Like the idea of using mortar mix instead of cement.  Also, putting a hook on top of it to tie a streamer. 

Michael

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »
Welcome, Madboom....your gonna love this site! The cannon bug will take hold, and you'll be building and firing in no time....main thing stressed here is SAFETY!  :) That must come first, then, you can go from there! There are lots of guys here that can steer you towards your goals, and lots of great sponsors, too. As far as the powder, there are sites where you can buy on line, and get the grade you need, fairly easily...Hang on, the ride is just beginning! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 03:02:29 AM »
Michael -
If you can't get black, some of the pseudo-black powders work ok.  I'll have to look at which I've found best.  The issue is having enough resistance to build pressure enough to get it burning fast enough.  (Less windage helps, but that's problematic.)

I use the sack-crete for convenience, but it could be stronger.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 06:48:57 AM »
Before you try substitutes you need to understand some things that are being learned about them.

First in their standard use in cartridges and muzzle loading firearms, substitutes generate higher presures than the black powder loads they replace.  Some of the substitutes generate substantial pressure increases. I am unaware of any pressure work done on cannon size loads with the substitutes.  Contact the powder manufacturers of the substitutes for recommended loads before you use them.

If you use substitutes in small cannons in calibers for which loads are published, substantially reduce the starting loads and work up.  The loads on the charts are for hand held weapons.  Cannons are not hand held and can be come secondary projectiles if fired with the loads on the charts.  This advice applies to blackpowder loads also.

Pyrodex requires a resistance to work properly. Tight wad or crimp.  Tight fit in large cannons raise pressure and projectiles are difficult to properly load.  Windage is strongly recommended in large cannons.

All the the substitutes are smokeless powders. All the substitutes are corrosive.  If you use them you must clean aggressively to remove the corrosive residue they leave.

Black powder is available from several suppliers in direct shipment in 5 lb lots. Contact them for details.  When you look you will find the Powder Inc. seems to have  the highest prices.  Powder Inc prices include shipping and haz mat fee.  Others list their price per pound but when you add in the shipping and haz mat fee their price per pound is pretty much the same as Powder Inc.  I think if you contact the folks listed below you will find most of them now offer the 5 lb shipment.

Powder

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 03:40:21 AM »
Welcome to the GOB site, Here they will guide you the save way. When you lite the fuse , in your mine  your remberer  the advise on saftey. I also found this site about the 1 st of the year and  got 3 boomers since then, I am from Lancaster,  20 S. miles from Boscoble. - See my pics. and post on Making the BB Mortar, Good luck. Joe

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 06:27:46 AM »
Welcome to the addiction of blackpowder cannons and mortars. Before I joined this site I only owned 2 small mortars and a swivel gun. In addition to those guns I now have 4 other cannons, and have my name in on another to be completed before the first of the year. You're going to get a lot of enjoyment out of this hobby. Welcome to the club.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
Black powder has the advantage of burning in a self-limiting fasion - hence is very consistant.  Other powders burn faster under more pressure making the shot-to-shot differences more evident.

But if  you choose to not use black, and I don't use it unless I run across it (and have a little left in my 'stash) then careful use of the others is ok - just be aware of the issues of higher pressure and plan for it.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired