Author Topic: Scope with dot -AO and decent glass?  (Read 573 times)

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Scope with dot -AO and decent glass?
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
Anyone know of a scope with a dot-AO and decent glass other than a Leupold. Need a couple of scopes for my son and my 10-22's. A 2X7- 3X9-4X12 would work. Everything is readily advaliable except the dot in a lot of scopes but I really like a dot rectical. Thanks, Don

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Scope with dot -AO and decent glass?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:36:52 AM »
I think theres a weaver just like that for sale in the classifieds right now at a great price.
blue lives matter

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »
doniva,

Curious about your request for a mil-dot scope in power you wanted, with AO.  I checked numerous brands of scopes on SWFA site and perused what's available.  Assumed you wanted something lower priced than a Leopold.

As you already know, not much out there with what you want.

Did find one though, which happens to be a tactical Mil Dot scope I have and it is on a 6.5 Swede sporter rifle.  Found mine as an open box special for 1/2 the price of anyone else selling it on internet.  Thought I'd give it a try. 

Scope has been OK for me and has had a fair number of 6.5X55 rounds fired with it at a range I'm a member.  Optics nothing to rave about, but decent.  Guys that want a light gathering scope that performs like a night vision scope would hate it though.  Side Focus (AO) on it seems a little stiff compared to SF on several other brand scopes I have with that feature.  Anyway, its a Barska.  Yep, a brand not highly regarded by many.  Barska not a brand I normally suggest to buy, but have several centerfire rifles with brand and I've had no problems with them.

Anyway, here is SWFA web page....see the 3-12X40 tactical.

http://swfa.com/Barska-Tactical-Rifle-Scopes-C30.aspx

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:13:28 AM »
Huffmanite, I 'm not looking for a mildot, just a single dot rectical. My 22 would have to be supped up a little to need a mildot ;D. Lloyd, that is my scope, if your talking about the 4X16X42. The cross hair and dot are very small. It is a great scope but the dot is hard to see when hunting  tree rats, early and late.Don

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 02:17:50 AM »
Ive got a trijicon accupoint on one of my ars. It has great optics and they do sell a 3x9 that has a trinium lit dot. Might be just the ticket for what your doing.
blue lives matter

Offline scopeman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:25:32 AM »
Clearidge makes a Duplex Dot in their Ultra RM 3-9x32 series.  It is a great scope.  If you are looking for a bigger scope, Weaver classic offers a 4-16x42 with a fine crosshair dot.  Another nice scope.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:04 AM »
I agree that dot reticle and fine crosshairs are usually together.  Will make for some tough hunting in shadows and against dark backgrounds.

I remember hunting once with a $35 4X Bushnel Banner I bought in 1" tube for a .22.  Thought the 1" tube would be brighter.  First day I tried it, the afternoon squirrels were on the ground and darn if I could find them in my crosshairs.  I had a cheap glass problem.  Hate to try it with a bargain scope and fine hairs.  Tossed the scope after one day of use.  Might have worked in a snowy woods.

I've only shot one rifle with a dot and that was a heavy BR rifle with 24X or 36X a friend let me shoot.  Nearly got hooked right then.

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »
Weaver V16 with 1/4" dot. Great scope, I have either 4 or 5 of them, and I keep buying more.