Author Topic: .22 rim fire suggestions/opinions  (Read 655 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
.22 rim fire suggestions/opinions
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »
Newby to optics.
Looking for a good solid scope to mount on a Remington speed master.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: .22 rim fire suggestions/opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:47:08 AM »
William, there are so many fine scopes now.  What are you going to do with it?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:55:57 AM »
Well, to say shoot paper would be correct----however, you know me, I would prefer something with a little more ability.
I do have the opportunity to shoot varmits on occasion.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:52:37 AM »
Hi Will,

I've got a weaver 3x9 rimfire scope on mine.  I like it because it has an Adj. Obj. so that I can focus right in up to 100 yards.  Most scopes are set for a 100yrd parallax, rimfire scopes are set at 50 or less.  This one allows me to set it where I want.  Since it's a rimfire (an accurized 10/22 at that with a 20" standard barrel, a recut chamber and crown, polished rifling, precision barrel wedge, trued and jeweled bolt, honed extractor/ejector and a trigger job), I use it under 100yards most (actually all) of the time and am very happy with the set up.  The scope also wasn't cheap....I think I paid between 2 and 3 hundred for it.  Give it a look.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline scopeman

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:53:02 AM »
I would recommend taking a look at the Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32.  I just purchased one and it is just a good as my Leupold VXII 3-9x33 for almost half the price.  Hands down the best value in a rimfire scope in my opinion

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:23:15 AM »
William, I'd have to agree with Dr. Doug regarding the adjustable objective.  Also, I like low power scopes on 22s, and since you are going to be multitasking (though I prefer fixed power scopes), a variable seems indicated.  You can get away without the adjustable objective, but they sure are nice.

Now, what is your budget?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »
OK---I am liking what I can discover about the Lupold VMII 4 12X50.
Seemslike this would be pretty interchangable if I went to a center fire,
Opinions, please.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »
As long as all you're asking for is opinions and not facts, here goes...

Its real tempting to put a 50mm objective scope on a 22.  I did it once. The more light the better, right?  But after a while it just looks odd, like that little alien on the Bugs Bunny cartoons. I think a 32mm or 40mm objective is proportional to the size of a Speedmaster and will not detract from its walkin-around-iness.

I would get the appropriate parallax for a 22; 50-60 yards or Adjustable Objective. 22LR and smaller are not 100 yard guns. The sound wave out of a std velocity rimfire cartridge catches the bullet at about 60 yards and messes with it, so a long accurate shot with a 22 hunting round ain't happening.

I like Leupolds.
Have a FX-1 4x28 on a 10/22; proportionally-sized for the gun, 60 yard parallax, fine duplex recticle. I can shoot 50 yd groups better than I can see. And if its 100 yards away, thats where the semi-auto part comes in; keep shooting at it until you hit it, for 3-5 cents a shot.
Have the VX-II 3-9x40 AO on a CZ 452 bolt 22. Very accurate set-up. The AO has yardages on it; for 100 yards and under, its not real critical to get it set exactly, but it is more accurate if you do.

DrDoug's Weaver 3-9 AO sounds interesting.
If you want a 4-12x40, look at the Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 AO. Its a little bulkier than a 3-9 but I think a heavier 22 like Speedmaster can handle it .  Had one on an NEF 223, then on the CZ 22, no complaints. ~ $120 at Opticsplanet.com

Someday, a Speedmaster is coming home with me.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
Been reading here, there, everywhere---opinions.
I have heard it said that the controls on the VXI were a little mushy---and this was from a number of sources--more difficult to zero and change.
I know that I once had a scope on a deer rifle---must have been just after the civil war---and zeroing in was a chore---the clicks were not always one click.
I, and is just me, study things---like things to work as they should.
I have a perminent bruise on my butt from kicking myownself by trying to go inexpensive and it costing me more in the long run +++++++the frustration.
That is why I am asking opinions ---and I read them and have respect for them.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »
I got the exact same bruise.
And I got a long string of valuable opinions over on the CZ forum when I asked about a scope for my CZ.
Its part of the fun.
Thanks for listening.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 05:36:17 PM »
I agree on the proportionality thing.  Here's a couple of thoughts.  One, if you buy a Leupold, Burris, Sightron, etc, you can sell them for what you haveinvested, almost.  Here's a couple of ends of the spectrum:

I looked thru one of these at PSC about a month ago...not bad at all (darn commies, they are getting better :o).

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=214873

This next one is more than the price of your gun, but man it's nice, really nice.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=829947

Bottom line, there are a ton of options, many under $100 bucks.  I'd consider Burris Signature rings, because they don't mark your scope, and they are rock solid.

Just MHO, good luck.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 12:44:27 AM »
Old eyes. I have looked at the 3 power and 4 power side by side.
For my eyes the 4 power wins.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 09:54:39 AM »
The decision is just about final.
Leupold VX-II 4-12X40 with adjustable Objective.
Now to find rings, base and all which will fit the Remington Speed-Master.
Opinions still welcomed.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
I own several V16 Weaver's with the 1/4" dot, and I love them. It really depends on what your budget is and what you are really going to shoot. If I were to offer one piece of advice, that would be to leave each scope on each gun, and don't switch back and forth. FYI Mueller has some scopes that are a very good bang for the buck.