Author Topic: Older Redfield - 3x9 Wideview  (Read 1345 times)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Older Redfield - 3x9 Wideview
« on: September 09, 2010, 12:05:10 PM »
Picked up Redfield Wideview the other day from a local gun shop.  I was going to buy a Wallyword 3x9 Communist scope to put on my 223, but decided to buy this older Redfield mostly because I like the new Redfields and this one was cheap enough.  Anyway, the optics look good but no box or instruction so would like to know the following:

1.  Purpose of the set screw on the top of the eye box. 

2.  What are the two very thin vertical lines above the horizontial crosshair

3.  It has a range scale in the bottom of the view that goes from 200 to 600, how do you use this?

This scope is fine as is for my plinking needs as is, just curious.

thanks

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline 84Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Older Redfield - 3x9 Wideview
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:18:02 PM »
I think what you have is either the Accutrac or Accurange model.  I'm confused by the " two very thin vertical lines"  If you meant 2 horizontal lines, then those are stadia lines that when a 18" thick item (assumed to be the height of a deers chest) fits between them, the range shows up on the scale.  If its new enough to be an Accutrac, the elevation turret will have yardages on it so you can dial in the range you determined from the yardage scale.  Each scope came with 2 or 3 graduated turret inserts that generally fit a group of calibers and bullet weights.  I think they also provided a blank one that you could calibrate youself.  I don't know what year Accutrac came into being, but IMO your better off if its an older Accurange.  Those Redfields were state of the art for that time period (mid-late 60's).  I still hunt with a 1964 2-7 variable that has never given me any trouble and has held its zero practically since it was installed.

I don't know what the screw is for?

I've read several posts on Graybeard about damaging scopes when installing the scope onto the rotary dovetail mount system.  I've had mine off and on my gun  several times, and always used the scope to twist the rings into place because I didn't know any better.  Apparently, those scopes and mounts were made for each other because it never affected my scope in any way.

Jim

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Older Redfield - 3x9 Wideview
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
Jim,

My mistake, they are 2 thin horizontial lines.  Thanks for the input.  The range finding really isn't that important to me.   I liked the scope because it is very clear and has a different look to it than the new ones.  Will find out tomorrow how is work on the 223.

thanks

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.