Author Topic: Judging whitetail antlers in the field  (Read 774 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Judging whitetail antlers in the field
« on: February 12, 2004, 01:34:03 PM »
I'm going whitetail hunting for the first time next fall. I know how to judge mule deer spreads by comparing the rack to those big ears. Can someone give me some tips on judging whitetails? What would an 18 inch spread look like? A 20 inch spread?

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 04:17:19 PM »
sounds to me like you are pretty hopefull for a guy who is going for the first time.   i find that you know a good buck when you see him.  you dont have to ask yourself if it is big; you know it is.

Offline 5Redman8

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
lil
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 08:15:00 AM »
There is a great book by Dr. James C. Kroll Aging and Judging Whitetail Deer.  Look it up on the net.  

Kyle

Offline coboconk

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 09:28:12 AM »
The width of an average whitetail is 15" so if you can get a look at it coming straight at you or straight away that could be a judge. It only has to be a brief glance to get the idea if the spread is wider than the deer. Another method is the height of the rack. If the height of the rack is equal to the neck length (shoulder to base of skull) then it is a good size rack. I got those tips from a book on hunting by Clyde Ormond. It's and old book bought at a garage sale. Once you have been hunting several years it's like the post above, You know it when you see the deer. I must admit that you set the bar pretty high for a new hunter. Good luck and don't get discouraged it may take years to reach your goal

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 05:12:48 AM »
Yes, I am hopeful.  I am pretty good at judging muleys based on ear vs. antler spread. A good muley here runs 24 inches or better - a really big one 30 inches. I'll be hunting in south Texas on a ranch owned by a relative and am told I'll see several good bucks every day.

Offline freddogs

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 11:11:24 AM »
:D

Offline freddogs

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 11:16:33 AM »
:D look for long tines. If the spread looks wide like a 24" mulie and the tines look long it's probably a nice one. When you see a monster sized buck there is no doubt in your mind.