Author Topic: Restocking and scoping a Topper  (Read 685 times)

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Restocking and scoping a Topper
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:25:22 PM »
I picked up a nice old Topper in 30/30 with an extra 20 guage barrel.[not that I ''needed'' it]The rifle barrel is in good shape-the shotgun barrel has some light rust in spots-but I'm not fussy-this is a utiltarian gun.
Since I'm prone to ''messing around'',within my limitations[refinishing/replacing stocks]I'm looking at a couple of options-one-I like the ''Tamer'' stock on my other H&R, and see Choate makes one, and secondly-since my eyes don't work like they used to-a low powered scope would be a good idea-the 30/30 barrel has 3 holes drilled and tapped,I'm wondering what mount works with that?I'm thinking an old 2 1/2 x K3 weaver might be about right....where I hunt,the shots won't be far-under 100 yards,more likely half that...and coastal blacktails aren't big so the 30/30 should do just fine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Restocking and scoping a Topper
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »
See the scope rails in the FAQs, lots of choices, the old Topper should take the same scope rail as modern H&Rs do, my Model 158 does.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:57:30 AM »
Two of my Handis wear the Weaver 82 rail, and in both instances I had to cut extra notches in it.  I much prefer the standard factory rail.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:01:08 AM »
another question-the ''Tamer'' stock I like has a holder for shotgun shells-its attached by two scews-if I use it for my 30/30,has anybody found a shell holder that would fit in the same place?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:06:23 AM »

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:14:23 AM »
yah,thats worth a try-hadn't thought of that....I was thinking I would have to try and make or buy a shell holder that would fasten to the stock...I'll have to check the diameter of a 30/30 shell against a 410....maybe glue in an insert,don't know why they don't offer rifle shell holders as an option though-they are not an integral part of the stock-just a plate attached with two screws..has anybody else used a tamer stock for their rifle?[the survivor stock has a compartment-I want something more accessable in the field,and the shotgun shellholder would be ideal if you could hold 4 extra rifle shells]

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:33:18 AM »
You could always put one of the neoprene butt stock shell holders on it, that would also eliminate the noisy exposed plastic surface.  ;)

Tim

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 12:51:26 PM »
I have a couple Toppers and a couple Tamer stocked rifles.

Toppers have a low hammer. Makes it easier to use low rings. With low rings the standard non Monte carlo butt is perfect.

I like Tamers for the pistol grip. Works with low recoil rounds (lower than 30-30) and with a bipod. I think that most people have no use for Tamers. Maybe for a truck gun; ie something actually fired from a truck. They don't do recoil pads or neoprene shell holders well.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 01:42:44 PM »
I admit-the reason I like the Tamer is the pistol grip-but don't know how it would work as far as recoil in 30/30

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 03:09:22 PM »
I don't have Tamer on a 30-30. Right now it is 22Mag sporter with Simmons 2.5X mounted low and forward of the hammer in a single no name ring, 22 Hornet shorty with a Bushnell 3-9 Trophy in medium Warnes and 243 Super Light with a Japanese Tasco and no name rings that I was going to toss. The 243 is nasty at the range. A PAST pad helps. The 22Mag was my fav Handi, but the Hornet is getting shot 2x-3x a week. So I like Tamers.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 05:04:53 AM »
come to think of it,my tamer in 20 guage has a bit of a boot to it-no recoil pad,I've wondered about gluing a strip of neoprine rubber to the stock

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 06:38:53 AM »
I just checked out that ''Handi Grip''stock at Midway-that might be a viable option for my Topper 30/30,and since I plan on using the 20 guage barrel that came with it for potting grouse on logging roads-it might be OK for that too.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 06:47:41 AM »
I just compared the comb height of the Handi-Grip to my Pardner stock, the Pardner is just a tad higher at the front of the comb and pretty much the same from there back, so it would work fine with the shotgun barrel.  ;)

Tim

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 09:22:48 AM »
I;d be interested in what its like to shoot with the new stock

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 06:39:48 PM »
since I was going to restock the rifle anyway,I decided to play around with it -sanded it all down,got all the dings and scratches out-and underneath it was a really nice piece of wood-beech maybe?Anyway,I had a can of Thompsons minwax woodstain in the ''gunstock''colour,so I applied a coat of that.left it 20 minutes and rubbed it off-waited 4 hours and applied a second coat....it came up beautifully-so now I'll put another couple of hours rubbing more stain in and then some sort of topcoat for protection-not sure if I'm going to order that new stock afterall-and while I like the synthetics for durability-nothing beats the richness of a nicely finished piece of wood...

I will have to scope it though-my eyes just don't work on open sights anymore-can't focus[Firesights do work though,if you have trouble -give them a try-you might be surprised] .I think I'll look for an old 2 1/2 X weaver-should be a nice match for a 30/30...don't see the point of getting anything of more power than  2 1/2 X

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 01:59:51 AM »
Firesights are great in low light. On a bright day, they really don't work for me. I have old Weavers and prefer a $25 Bushnell most of the time due to multicoating. You get so much more glare on an old scope. The fine crosshairs don't help either. With the exception of shooting at an indoor range. But what I really prefer is a $125 Nikon. Red dots which look awful on a Handi, work great if you like Firesights.

I have run Garand stocks through a dishwasher. Sucks all the cartouches out.  (not a good thing) Cartouches are essentially dings. You will have to refinish afterwards.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »
running it through a dishwasher!-hadn't thought of that-I have used my wifes iron and a wet washcloth to pull out dings.Then I go  at it with 80 grit sandpaper and work up to really fine,then rub in multiple coats of stain.Some of these old stocks[husqvarna 6.5x55 -one of my favourites]have really nice European wlanut on them and come up beautifully.I can't do metal work-but I can do wood finishing and nothing beats the look or feel of a nicely oiled wood stock-even if they aren't as practical as synthetic.

But back to the scope-I think a low powered fixed scope would be ideal,nothing bigger than 4X,preferably a 2 1/2X.,I've had Bushnells and Leupolds.....Funny,way back when I was a kid[and scopes were just becoming popular] I didn't like the ''look'' of 2 1/2 X scopes because they didn't have a bell at both ends.....