Author Topic: The ultimate reenactment  (Read 919 times)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
The ultimate reenactment
« on: September 13, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
I found this artillery bombardment video from the movie Gettysburg.   Must have been fun making the movie!
[yt=425,350]HMlfxlAA0F8[/yt]

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: The ultimate reenactment
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:31:26 PM »
WoW, that is impressive.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »
Tim,

Didn't we have members of this board way  back in-the early days who took part in this barrage?  Or at least the ones in Gods and Generals.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »
I think so - hmmm - that was a few years back though.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline leesecw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:59:52 PM »
There were 40 guns at that filming.  One battalion basically.Lee had many more engaged not to mention the reply from the Union side. The recoil was not as strong in the filming as an actual round leaving the barrel. I'm going to post some vids on youtube tonight of the last match at Grayling Michigan of a 12 pound napoleon firing two and a half pounds of powder with a solid shot round. Notice the difference in the recoil. The filming was impressive but live rounds are even more impressive firing at targets from 600 yards out and farther. There will be another shoot at Grayling at the end of this month. Info at acwsa.org. I'll post vids of a 12 pound mountain howitzer and a parrott rifle also
If Guns cause crime, then mine are defective...Ted Nugent

Offline leesecw

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 06:50:24 PM »
Other videos at grayling 2010 or just type leesecw on the search bar at youtube. The filming at gettysburg was very impressive but a powder charge alone makes a different sound that a live round. Most of the time you can hear or see the round heading down the range
If Guns cause crime, then mine are defective...Ted Nugent

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:43:02 PM »
Leesecw's three latest YouTube videos; yeah, the recoil is definitely stronger.

[yt=425,350]A-G3t8-FxFE[/yt]

[yt=425,350]IckH85wFTPU[/yt]

[yt=425,350]R1XOrYF55Dc[/yt]

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
At the 145th anniversary reenactment the Confederate gunline had 60 to 65 guns on it, including a few originals.  Unfortunately we didn't get coordinated enough to do a full division (?) fire by file.  Just batteries firing at will.  Still impressive. 

Also, from a CA perspective, where 200 infantry per side is a large turn out, seeing thousands of infantry march past, and march past, and march past, was just as impressive.  And the smoke from it all.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:29:45 AM »
and the smell of sulpher,

and the smell of sulpher,

and the smell of sulpher!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »
Unfortunately we didn't get coordinated enough to do a full division (?) fire by file.  Just batteries firing at will.  Still impressive. 

I can understand why CW artillery fire as depicted in movies usually shows each piece firing seperately as the camera pans down the firing line, but it would be nice to see a more realistic rendition showing the first volley fired in unison, and then each crew firing at will. I'm sure it's been done before, but off hand I can't remember a specific movie. Did anyone notice in the 'Gettysburg' clip that Dom posted that some cannon in certain cuts of the scene fired without producing a plume of white smoke, because the director didn't want to obscure the rest of the action being filmed?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 02:13:31 PM »
Tactically "Guns are usually fired by order, and not by salvos, or volleys; and never as soon as loaded, unless delay be dangerous.  Artillery fire is formidable only in proportion to its accuracy; and this is attainable only by a cool and calculated aim."  From "A Treatise on the Tactical use of the Three Arms: Infantry, Artillery, and Cavalry."  by Col. Francis J. Lippitt

The idea is to keep up a continuous fire on specific targets until they are destroyed or dispersed.  By having guns fire in order the first gun is ready to fire after the last one has.  This has a positive morale effect on your own troops and a disheartening effect on the enemy.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »
In mondern artillery warfare (from my limited experience in the Field Artillery in 1972) a call for fire was relayed to the FDC (Fire Direction Center/Control) and relayed to the firing battery(ies).  Much dependant upon communication.

But in CW time, without benefit of that, who chose the targets, loads and who was to shoot the fire-mission?  I ASSUME it was from someone in a good vantage point and with some authority.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 05:33:10 PM »
Since the fire missions were direct fire, the Battery Commander made most of the firing decisions.  He would have been given orders about the location of his battery, what he was supposed to accomplish, and when.  Once the combat started he would make decisions based on what the enemy was doing. 

Both then and now the idea is to concentrate fire on a particular target.  Back then you had to be able to see your target, today it is more likely indirect fire.  Hope this helps.

The following was taken from "Robinson Battery, 1st Michigan Lt. Artillery"

CAPTAIN (Battery Commander)

Had overall command, control, and responsibility for the training, serviceability, and combat operation of the battery's personnel and equipment. He was not only the chief recruiter of the company, but also used his influence to acquire horses and other material, through means outside normal requisitions, to keep his battery in the best possible condition. Depending on the organization of the army at a particular time, the captain received his orders from either an artillery battalion commander, a division "Chief of Artillery", or an infantry brigade commander; ranking from major to brigadier general respectively. The captain had command over as many as 170 men and 98 horses in a six gun battery with six horse teams. In a four gun battery with four horse teams he had to have a minimum of 71 men and 45 horses to function efficiently. Most artillery officers were very slow to receive promotion due to the relatively light casualties and "turnover" in the long arm as compared to the infantry.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 02:18:24 AM »
Yes, THANKS!

That sounds like it was very functional for the range of the pieces and the commo of the day.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 05:54:07 AM »
Glad I missed that battle ! ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.