Author Topic: Tokarev for Concealed Carry ?  (Read 2687 times)

Offline lrs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Tokarev for Concealed Carry ?
« on: August 25, 2010, 03:12:57 PM »
I have a Tokarev, 7.62x25.  I think it would make a perfectly viable handgun for concealed carry.
It has sufficient power, it's overall size is not too large, and a relatively flat profile.
All it really needs is a suitable holster, and I think it would be fine.
I haven't really looked for a holster, but I'm sure someone must make one that would make this practical for CC.
" we are screwed "

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Tokarev for Concealed Carry ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:33:32 PM »
You could definitely do a lot worse than a Toc.  I'm sure somebody makes cc holsters for them.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 03:34:04 AM »
The Tok is more than adequate but has tremendous power and penetrability.  Your best bet for ammo is to go to Ron Reed's site (his banner flies at the top of the page) as Ron makes the best 7.62x25mm ammo on this side of the big pond.  If you reload, Hornady and Sierra both make appropriate weight .308 diameter soft nosed bullets for that caliber which would make it a incredibly effective defensive cartridge. 

For holsters - most holsters for 1911 style Commander length pistols will work very well with the Tok - fit might be a bit loose but that simply allows for quicker access.  HTH.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 03:44:22 AM »
I have heard these guns will fire if dropped muzzle down. Not the best trait for a CCW .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:27:05 AM »
I have heard these guns will fire if dropped muzzle down. Not the best trait for a CCW .

I tested this out after I purchased mine, even before I fired it.
After clearing the weapon, then visually and physically triple checking to the make certain the gun was not loaded, AND pointing it at the ground, I rammed it HARD, with my hand, top, bottom, sides and front.  The hammer never did drop.
I think it is a good idea to check any firearm to be certain it will not discharge if subjected to impact.
I have seen it happen 3 times in my life.
Not good, to say the least.
" we are screwed "

Offline Div Arty

• Avid Poster

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
The Tok is more than adequate but has tremendous power and penetrability.  Your best bet for ammo is to go to Ron Reed's site (his banner flies at the top of the page) as Ron makes the best 7.62x25mm ammo on this side of the big pond.  If you reload, Hornady and Sierra both make appropriate weight .308 diameter soft nosed bullets for that caliber which would make it a incredibly effective defensive cartridge.  

For holsters - most holsters for 1911 style Commander length pistols will work very well with the Tok - fit might be a bit loose but that simply allows for quicker access.  HTH.

Are they .308 or .311? Why a softnose and not a hollowpoint like an XTP?

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
over penetration is a problem with the 762x25 round. it will put a hole thru any bad guy and everyone behind him.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »
Like Mikey said, you are definitely going to want to find a hollow point or soft point that will feed reliably in your pistol.  The right bullet will take advantage of that rounds high velocity, creating maximum damage.  Muzzle energy can be misleading, as a FMJ bullet that zips right thru can be a killer, but not necessarily a stopper, which is what a self defense handgun is all about.  Over penetration is a real issue with that cartridge when using FMJ bullets.  No matter how well intentioned, a court of law will hold you responsible for that bullet if it hits an unintended target beyond the bad guy.  I would take it to a well stocked gun shop with me, and try the fit in several different holster, until you find the one you like.  I had a TOK back when they first became popular as imports, and it shot fine with surplus ball.  I never did try it with any other ammo, and eventually sold it to a guy who wanted an inexpensive handgun for back yard plinking.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 01:30:41 AM »
i carry a 38 spec .with 4 inch barrel..in pants holster works fine.. but do wear underware..
 little rough on the hiney ,with out it.. :)..
  in summer heat i prefer no under garments.. they hold more body heat in..so then i opt for front carry kel tec p3at..works for me ,after very much pull an shoot practice..
 grandma use to say always wear clean underwear,in case you involved in a wreck or something....
heck granny,, they ain t gonna see nothing they havn t seen before ..

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 01:38:48 AM »
It's better to shoot all the way through.  It helps with the blood trailing. ;D
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 02:19:18 AM »
mrussel:  the bore on the Tok is .308.  I advocate a round nose soft point over a hollowpoint for feeding reliability.  The only hp slugs I have seen in that caliber are the FNM or FNH loads and on occasion they will fail to chamber.  The problem with a hp bullet design is that the nose of the slug has to be fairly flat to get some sort of hp and that may cause problems, especially in pistols designed for ball ammo. 

I tried the 'drop test' and mine didn't release the hammer, but the safety on mine was always malfunctioning so I took it out and covered the hole with duct tape.  I carry mine on half-cock (actually, more like 1/4 cock) (I use it mostly on the farm and rarely carry it to town as I know some idjiot will make a issue out of the safety not being there).  The TT-33 ran without a safety and the safety on the Chinese Type 54-1 is a batf aftermarket design, which may be why it is so crummy.  I like mine, it's fun and gives me a serious sense of comfort....................

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 04:20:36 AM »
OOOOHHHHH.....Slim....waaay too much info..... :-[
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 11:40:59 PM »
I have a chinese one in 9mm Luger.  I have carried it in a in the pants holster desighed for a 1911 commander and it works fine.  I never use the safety and carry it like the Russians did with the hammer and the half cock notch.  This really was designed as the safety by the Russians as when it is in that position not only is the hammer off the firing pin but the slide is locked shut as well.  I have a CZ 52 in 7.62X25 and really like it for a plinker.  I generally do not hand load for it but did buy some brass and reloaded some 100 gr Hornady half jackets to try them on some raccoons.  I shot several raccoons with the standard ball ammo and unless I hit the head or spine the critter ran away and probably expired later someplace else.  With the half jackets they stayed right there the bullet still penetrated clean through but the outgoing hole was like an inch across with lots of bits and pieces of critter blown out the off side.  Soft points are the way to go for stopping with that caliber.