Author Topic: Point Of Aim?  (Read 773 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Point Of Aim?
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
I'd like to hear you folks opinions on point of aim. When bow hunting I've always aimed low for the heart. Deer ducks the string I get the lungs. Lately I've been hearing a lot of guys say they switched to aiming for the shoulder. Theory being it usualy drops the deer and lessons the need for tracking. I hunt in heavy brush a lot, making it tricky to track at times, so that kinda makes sense to me. What say you?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Point Of Aim?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 04:29:24 PM »
Yep, I go straight for the shoulder.  Sometimes they duck, sometimes they jump.  Center mass has worked well for me.  Plus if you hit exactly on the shoulder, the broadhead typically penetrates through the scapula and as the deer runs, they rake that thing back and forth inside.  Plus if it makes it through both, it highly impedes their escape giving time to get a second shot off.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 05:47:24 AM »
 Haven't had a deer, moose or bear duck my bullet so I can't help you there. :D ;D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »
Bow or gun, right behind the front leg, about 1/3 the way up from the belly, they never make it more than 40-50 yards

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 05:18:26 AM »
Hunting in the thick of it 95% of the time I take the shot as offered.  Sometimes quartering towards, sometimes away, sometime facing.  Rarely the perfect broadside. If it is there, I will take either the heart or shoulder depending......on the opening.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 05:49:52 AM »
With a bow I aim to make a exit hole for easy tracking so I avoid shoulders if possible.  With a rifle I choose a tough bullet and aim to at least break the off-side shoulder if the deer isn't angled where I can get both.  If I'm hunting at top of a steep hill and don't want the deer to run to the bottom for me to drag back up I make a high shoulder shot too break the spine along with both shoulders.  I hate to mess up the back-strap but I hate to drag deer up those steep WV hills even more.   Dave

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:32:05 AM »
Growin' up bowhuntin' before the age of high-speed compound bows, I learned early on to avoid the shoulder blade when bowhunting. Still find it makes for the quickest and cleanest kill to stay behind it. Gives me a tad more burger too.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"