Author Topic: Modify Lee Molds  (Read 802 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Modify Lee Molds
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:46:07 AM »
I have read post on the use of wave washers, but this seems to be a constant battle changing wave washers in high use molds, most of my molds are Lyman, but I do have two Lee, The Lee that I have are 30 cal rifle and one for Muzzle loader, and neither gets used much, But the Sprue plate screw will not stay snug. Lee molds I have used in the past for high volume casting, the heat would make the wave washer useless in no time.  Has anyone ever tried to drill and tap the block, and use a setscrew to secure  the Sprue plate screw, Like the Lyman molds use. Or is there a reason I am missing that would make this impractical. Thanks

Offline budman46

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Modify Lee Molds
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:06:06 AM »
hornady,

i usually back the sprue plate screw off on my lee moulds...if i go too far, i have to do exactly as you suggest...

btw, as a newer user of lee moulds, have you discovered bullplate sprue lube from [url]http://www.bullshop.gunloads.com/tbs_lube.htm[url]? this stuff allows you to cast without galling the soft alloy blocks and speeds the process up...some testimony:

I wouldn't think of beginning a casting session without first applying Bullplate Lube to the top of my molds. Used as the instructions specify, the annoying lead buildup on the top of the mold and bottom of the sprue plate is now a thing of the past. No more lead smear. My casting rate per hour has increased being able to cut the sprue sooner and without the need to stop and clean the lead buildup from the mold and sprue plate.

it works as advertised...works well for steel moulds, too.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever
budman

ignorance is fixable...

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Modify Lee Molds
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »
Bud you are exactly right on the bull plate lube, I have been using it for a while, great stuff, I post this question over on the cast form, a couple guys over there said they had good results with the tap idea, they recommended an 8/32 set screw, and suggested the bull plate to help cut the tap into the aluminum block.
I have used Lee molds over the years, but just cannot seem to get the sprue plate to stay snug. But thanks for the suggestion, but I think my two Lee molds have a date with the drill press.