Author Topic: .243 handi rifle chambering issue  (Read 510 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
.243 handi rifle chambering issue
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »
Just a question as I am newer to reloading but have a problem with some of my brass. Have several that have been fired and reloaded 8 to 10 times with no visible signs of stress or cracks. The primer pockets are still even tight. Have been neck sizing. One issue is that even with a full length size the single shot is still needeing to almost be slammed to get it to close on these shells. Once fired brass when put back in locks up with no problem. Is this a sign that the brass is done or is it that my lee dies need some adjustment?

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
Re: .243 handi rifle chambering issue
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »
Have you checked your trim length on the brass?  I'd also try to borrow a different set of dies, that may make a difference.  Preferably a different brand.

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »
I find on the 243 cal. the shoulder has to be pushed back .003 to lock up
I tried a neck size die only still needs a full length resizing die.
I think the chambers are a tad to long and find on my 243 cal. to keep the brass at 2.045 I find also the coal at 2.700 for 95 grain to 100 grain bullets
The sierra I seat them at 2.655:I did a lot of playing with the 243 cal. it is a funky cal. I shoot my brass on reloads as mush as 15 times and as soon as I see the small ring mark after the round is fired I toss it.
I seem to find on the top end brass seem to get shorter in life maybe 10 reloads and that is maybe.I load on the lower end of the chart and seem to get it together

Offline MNSHOOTER

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »
If you try aneeling {spelling?} the brass it will let the die bring it back to specs. After repeted firings even with just neck sizers the brass will get hard as stone. Heat it up and cool it down it will soften up and you will be good to go. I have been doing it for 40 years and brass will last 20 cycles with most normal loads. Mark

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:14:38 PM »
I know one issue I had to put on the learning urve of reloading was full length sizing. I always neck sized for my bolt guns and did not understand how hard you had to ram to make sure you pushed the shoulder back. Make sure the shell holder contacts the die. Handis' let the brass stretch pretty good.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »
When you set up the dies, just touching the shell holder with the sizing die with no brass doesn't get it.  You need to set it so it touches kind of hard when it is resizing fired brass.  If that doesn't do the trick then taking some metal off either the die or shell holder will be in order.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.