Author Topic: Anybody using TrailBoss powder?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Anybody using TrailBoss powder?
« on: August 14, 2010, 10:41:46 AM »
I was given some the other day to try in my 45lc Blackhawk. After looking at the charts on IMR's site, I don't think I can use it with my 255grSWC bullets. Any of ya'll using it for this weight bullet? I've not yet called IMR(Hodgdon), but may get around to it after the first of the week. I was surprised at the velocities listed for the 250LRN, less than 750fps?  Oh well, I might have to scrounge up some lighter stuff to try this powder out a little.

HWD

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Anybody using TrailBoss powder?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »
TB is intended for low velocity use, a nice option for reduced loads in any chambering.

Tim

http://www.imrpowder.com/trailboss.html

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »
The powder was designed for reduced loads, and for that very reason it is extremely bulky.  I believe I read in Hogdgon's annual reloading magazine that they claim you can't stick enough of it in any case to blow the gun up.  With that being said, velocities aren't super, but they make great 25 yard plinking loads that burn pretty clean.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
I've used it with 250 grain bullets through a 45 LC Handi rifle. It works great.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:42:01 AM »
I don't have a 45lc, but you take 1 piece 45-70 Brass, one large rifle primer, 305 gr lead, and a lee 3.1 scoop of Trail Boss, mix well in a Lee Loader, and then insert in a 18" barrel handi.  Take it out into the woods and you have an accurate, consistent 50 yard club.  About the same recoil as a 223.  It is just a whole lot of fun. 

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 01:10:24 PM »
+1 to all the above, best powder for light loads in .45 Colt and .30-30 carbines. I use it with 200 grain plated SWC's (.45acp bullet) in my .45 Colt carbine for a clean burning, no leading, light and accurate plinker load at roughly 800 fps.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
TB is a wonderful powder. I use for light loads in .41 mag, .44 mag, .44 special, .38 special, .45 Colt, .45 AR and have loaded a few in the 45-70. Clean burning and very little danger of a double charge.

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 03:01:21 PM »
 :) I use TB in my 30/06 Handy with a 150grn Hornaby 30/30 bullet, 20.7 grns TB- "not compressed".

Sighted in 1" high @ 25yds it is accurate with no holdover out to 125yds.

Burns clean with little recoil.

Will try this load on Whitetail this fall.    Good Luck  -  Jim
Jim

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »
We like TB very much for the 45-70, 12 gr with a 405 cast bullet and you have a lot of fun. Sure it shoots lower than your hunting load that shoots out to 175 with a little hold over but what a fun choice for plinking or very close hunting shots. Check the Hodgden web site for loads.
   Edit- http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf 

I imagine with a pistol it will have little to no recoil.  thejanitor

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »
I have used TB powder in the .223 Rem, .243 Win, 30-30 WCF, 45-70 Govt, 30-06 Spr, 45 LC, 357 mag, 38 Spec and soon in the 44 Mag and 357 Max. To say, "I like it" would be an understatement. It is everything that everyone says it is....

Try it and you will be a believer!

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 05:47:27 AM »
I was given some the other day to try in my 45lc Blackhawk. After looking at the charts on IMR's site, I don't think I can use it with my 255grSWC bullets. Any of ya'll using it for this weight bullet? I've not yet called IMR(Hodgdon), but may get around to it after the first of the week. I was surprised at the velocities listed for the 250LRN, less than 750fps?  Oh well, I might have to scrounge up some lighter stuff to try this powder out a little.

HWD

I shoot 5.5g with my cast 255s and love it , very low recoil round to practice with in my 45LC Taurus Tracker , I can put 500 rounds down range to work on different holds and shooting stances and not get the pounding of full power loads .

stimpy

PS - the Tracker is one of my carry guns so practice is important .  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
I use it in a .45 Vaquero, .44 Mag carbine and have even developed a load for my 8x57mm Mauser, It is indeed an awesome powder.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »
The powder was designed for reduced loads, and for that very reason it is extremely bulky.  I believe I read in Hogdgon's annual reloading magazine that they claim you can't stick enough of it in any case to blow the gun up.  With that being said, velocities aren't super, but they make great 25 yard plinking loads that burn pretty clean.

Seriously? You mean you can just fill up any old case and it will work?

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 07:22:36 PM »
The powder was designed for reduced loads, and for that very reason it is extremely bulky.  I believe I read in Hogdgon's annual reloading magazine that they claim you can't stick enough of it in any case to blow the gun up.  With that being said, velocities aren't super, but they make great 25 yard plinking loads that burn pretty clean.

Kinda.....I would not recommend compressing it at all. With that being said, Hodgdon does have loading guidelines that clearly states the Max load should be one that comes right up to the bottom of the bullet once it is seated.  ;) ;) ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 07:30:51 PM »
Links to Hodgdon's Trail Boss loading guidelines have been posted TWICE in this thread, there's no reason to question what those guidelines are, read them!  ;)

Tim

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 10:13:33 AM »
Links to Hodgdon's Trail Boss loading guidelines have been posted TWICE in this thread, there's no reason to question what those guidelines are, read them!  ;)

Tim

I dont know what happened,I read on the internet to just pack it in there,so can you save the eye doc?  :o

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 10:56:20 AM »
If it's compressed enough to crush the little cheerios, it may totally change it's burning characteristics.  :-\

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 08:49:57 AM »
If it's compressed enough to crush the little cheerios, it may totally change it's burning characteristics.  :-\

Tim

I did a burn test on the loading bench , normal TB and some that I had been crushed into powder , I noticed that the crushed stuff burned quite differently from what the normal stuff did , makes we wonder what it would do in a contained case .  ??? = :o :o :o :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
It may just be a common powder in a different form with lots of air within it, like the difference between popped and unpopped popcorn.  ;)

Tim

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »

I wouldn't go filling it to the brim in every case with every bullet.  But on page 52 of the "Hogdgon's 2010 Annual Manual" on the right hand side it says "...it is impossible to overcharge any cartridge with Trail Boss, simply because it is impossible to get enough into a case to exceed maximum chamber pressures for that cartridge."  Though I've read that compressing it can cause pressure issues and can change its burning characteristics and with that being said, I don't know how true that comment above is.

Would I hang on that comment as truth?  Not really, I've heard of some people, specifically with bottle next cases having instances of sticky extraction with only 70% load density using heavy bullets.  So...

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »

I wouldn't go filling it to the brim in every case with every bullet.  But on page 52 of the "Hogdgon's 2010 Annual Manual" on the right hand side it says "...it is impossible to overcharge any cartridge with Trail Boss, simply because it is impossible to get enough into a case to exceed maximum chamber pressures for that cartridge."  Though I've read that compressing it can cause pressure issues and can change its burning characteristics and with that being said, I don't know how true that comment above is.

Would I hang on that comment as truth?  Not really, I've heard of some people, specifically with bottle next cases having instances of sticky extraction with only 70% load density using heavy bullets.  So...

I mean no offense,but I really had to see it for myself in a document strait from IMR. I just read the document and that stuff looks sweet. The only question now is how many pounds to buy. Just fill and go! It looks really nice to practice with in big rifles without learning to flinch and without getting a sore shoulder.

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »
Ah no offense taken; it's a pretty high claim.

But yeah the powder is great for learning to shoot big guns and getting comfortable with them before going all in with the full house loads.  I use it all the time in my 45-70 to make great light plinking loads.  At the same time, those that are a bit more recoil shy, like my girl friend, it makes for great shooting.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 06:50:24 PM »
Ah no offense taken; it's a pretty high claim.

But yeah the powder is great for learning to shoot big guns and getting comfortable with them before going all in with the full house loads.  I use it all the time in my 45-70 to make great light plinking loads.  At the same time, those that are a bit more recoil shy, like my girl friend, it makes for great shooting.

And a surprising good time if you accidentally get a full power load in a magnum cartridge in there by accident. Of course that should not be a problem as your technique is consistent no matter what your firing.  ;)

I wonder how this stuff would work in a 45-120

Offline aussie rich

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »
The ADI manual actually has published load data for the 45-120 using Trail Boss, you can download the manual for free from their website.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/

regards

Rich

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 04:31:56 PM »
Been reading this thread with interest, curious what would be said.

Bought a lb of Trail Boss, oh maybe 1 1/2 years, or longer ago.  My intent was to shoot cast bullets in my 30 cal rifles, such as 30-06, 308.  Also had a 43 Spanish 1879 Remington Rolling Block that I wanted to use it in.

At that time, no published load data for using Trail Boss in 30-06 or 308 with cast bullets, so called IMR requesting load data info for these calibers.  Long story short, IMR rep strongly advised me not to use Trail Boss in bottlenecked cartridges, only to be used in straight wall brass like that in most pistol brass, 45-70.  Something to do with burn characteristics being different than normal powder.  I even PM'd a couple of guys in Australia, since A.D.I. there supplies IMR with the powder, asking if they knew anything about Trail Boss.  They'd heard of it, but not used it.  

Then a few months later an article appeared in a gun magazine about Trail Boss and lo and behold, writer had load data for 30-06 and 308 with cast bullets.  Turned out, what I thought would be a start load with TB in the 30-06, close to what article said to use.  

With purchase of 2010 Hodgdon's reloading data magazine at a Wal-Mart last January, I read its article about use of Trail Boss with not only cast bullets, but also jacketed bullets.   LOL    Article quoted head ballistician at Hodgdon about "being impossible to over load a cartridge with T.B." and later he was quoted  about how to find optimum accuracy with trail boss and a jacketed bullet in your rifle.

Quite simply,  take a piece of brass, mark outside of case where bottom of jacketed bullet you want use will be in case/neck.  Fill case with T.B. to your mark and then measure grains of T.B. it took.  Ok, lets say it was a 270Win brass and you've measured it took 20 grains of T.b. to reach your mark on the brass.  This is your 100% load density.  Hodgdon Ballistician then said to calculate what would be 70% load density.  This is done simply by multiplying the number of grains it took to reach your mark, which in this example is 20 gns, times .7.  So 20 gns X .7=14grs.  This is the 70% load density and it would be your start load.  Somewhere between the 14 gns and 20 gns in my 270 Win example, you will find a load that works best for bullet you are using.

Chuckle, I just take a lee dipper that will fill whatever cartridge I'm reloading to its shoulder with T.B. and seat the bullet.  No rocket science here and I have a good time shooting with T.B.

Final word.  I posted about Trail Boss on Surplus Rifle.com shortly after getting the Hodgdon 2010 reloading magazine, mentioning its very mild recoil.  Gent there, who had a heart problem/pacemaker or something that prevented him from shooting his collection of bolt action surplus military rifles, because of their recoil, read the post.  He tried the Trail Boss a few days later with excellent results and is now shooting his Surplus rifles regularly.  So happens the gent teaches a community college reloading class and mentioned he kinda hated to tell his students about Trail Boss.....that he was afraid one of them would think all powders could be safely loaded to 100% density like Trail Boss.

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 06:50:15 AM »
The reason for not compressing TB is that accuracy & consistency is lost.
Jim

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »
I've got a few rounds loaded up with 13 gr of TB to push the 340 gr Lee. I'll let you know how it went as soon as the monsoon stops here.  ::)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 07:15:10 PM »
It may just be a common powder in a different form

They actually changed the composition from the 2004 formula. The original:

Nitrocelluose   85-95%
Dibutyl Phthalate 2-13%
Diphenylamine 0-2%
Potassium Nitrate 0-1%
Graphite 0-1%

Current formula:

Nitrocelluose 85-95%
Dibutyl Phthalate 0-10%
Graphite 0-1%

Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 01:36:56 PM »
It makes shooting big guns fun! It also works for the little ones. My next test will be my .17 Furball.