Author Topic: Got another Slug Gun question.  (Read 860 times)

Offline xd45nut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Got another Slug Gun question.
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
Well you guys have talked me into going with 20ga over 12, but should I go with Tracker 2 or the Ultra Slug barrel? I guess my questions boils down to; is being able to mount a scope worth the extra $40 for the USH barrel?
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: Got another Slug Gun question.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »
It cost me $50 to have my Tracker II drilled & tapped for a scope mount.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »
Well i don't know about the tracker, but my 20 gauge USH puts Accutip slugs into about 2" at 100.  I still hunt from a stand over a cornfield so the weight is not an issue.  To me it would depend more on what type of hunting you want to do and how far your average shots are. 

Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
The newer ULSH is similar to the Tracker II and comes with scope rail standard. Check it out at www.hr1871.com
The ULSH weighs the same as the Tracker II and has the new ultragon rifling.

Offline Strikenmike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »
If I still had good eyes I would consider a peep sight.  Most of my shots are like archery shots and a receiver sight would work great.  As it is, I use a low power scope and sometimes a reflex sight (red dot).  My ultra-slug 20 gauge with lightfield slugs is a one-shot marvel.  Longest shot to date, 110 yards.  I have won three club slug-shooting contests with this gun.  I love it.  Last year I was fortunate enough to harvest a 140 class buck.  Shot it twice because after the first shot the buck just kept walking and I was not about to lose that bad boy.  When I field dressed the deer I found the entry holes were about 1" apart.  Other than that, since 2006 every year, every deer....one shot.  It is the gun.
Tight Lines and Ten Rings

Offline stevo1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »
Hi , I have an H&R  tracker 2. I have made up a few loads with the lyman 525 grn sabot.One particular load with blue dot, which is the hottest load listed in the lyman manual, groups very well at 50 meters.Unfortunately i have to have the open sights wound right up so as to get it on target.They are at the end of their thread and the screw and spring pop out.Can anyone tell me if it is possible to take out the rear windage blade sight and replace it with a higher one?. I dont want to file the front sight down because there isn't much there to file. Cheers.