Author Topic: new traditions 1851 navy  (Read 746 times)

Offline Alpine Kid

• Trade Count: (0)
new traditions 1851 navy
« on: December 03, 2003, 03:39:24 AM »
hello everyone
i'm new to black powder revolvers and am expecting delivery of a
pair of 1851 navy in 44 cal. by pietta  and sold through traditions
i can return the revolvers within a specified time period with no
questions asked
question: what can i look for by way of visual inspection concerning
major problems which would  result in  sending them back for a
refund?
thanks to all who respond
Alpine Kid

Offline Flint

1851 Navy
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 10:27:08 AM »
The basics are to check the chamber alignment with the barrel at full cock. It should come up locked aligned at all 6 chambers.  If the bolt is in the cylinder notch and the chamber is off center, the notches are off location, or the frame machining is off center.  You can pull the nipples to let light in and cock the gun looking at a light source behind and look down the barrel to see if the edges of the chamber mouth are not visible beyond a hair.  Then check the timing, it should at least be reasonable or tunable.  If the bolt drops too soon, it will ring the cylinder with a drag mark, and only a new bolt will fix it if the bolt's wings are adjusted for sufficient tension against the hammer cam face and it still drops too early.  An over=strong bolt spring can aggravate that too.  A weak bolt spring can cause overtravel when you cock it fast.  Make sure the parts all fit each other.  If the mainspring is too strong, it can be tuned, but it cannot ever be as light as a cartridge single action, as the percussion cap/nipple/hammer system needs a harder hit than the sharper firing pin and primer of a cartridge system do.  If the wedge is loose when the barrel has enough gap to the cylinder, you will need to adjust the wedge, but shoot it in first.  Don't dry fire it with the cylinder in place, or at least remove the nipples first, so they don't get mushroomed from the hammer strike and then fail to fit the caps.  Good luck with it all.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Alpine Kid

new traditions 1851 navy
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 12:59:45 AM »
thank you Flint

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
new traditions 1851 navy
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 05:45:54 AM »
Here's something I recently learned first hand.  Since you already have the nipples off to perform the checks that Flint outlined, go ahead and ram 454 round balls into each chamber.  Remove the cylinder and use a mag light or small flashlight at each chamber mouth, looking into the rear of the chambers from the nipple holes.  Check to see if any light shows around the seated balls.  It should be all dark, but you never know when you get a cylinder that hasn't been reamed properly.  If light shows, there is a potential for chain fires and you're going to know if you have to use wads and or grease in your loads.  Of course, it you're going to do a lot of shooting, the point is moot since you'll have to use somekind of wads or lube anyway to help keep fouling soft.  I only go through 15 rds. per month through both of my main match 60 Army's so I don't bother with wads and lube. :-)  

Btw, all my chambers show dark and I've never had problems with chainfires until recently with a new purchased 60. :wink:
Singing Bear

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
new traditions 1851 navy
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 07:52:42 AM »
I shoot 457 balls since they fit tightly, don't move under recoil and provide a bit more bearing surface on the rifling.