Author Topic: pardner pumps  (Read 586 times)

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
pardner pumps
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:07:44 PM »
OK, so im going to do some duck hunting this year, the pheasants are a bit low, and figure Id kill some ducks and let the pheasants breed some more  ;)

I guess I wanna know how you all like the the pumps.  thinking I may buy one just for shooting steel out of, Ive heard some bad things about steel scoring barrels and just plain old not being good for them, and I dont really want to mess up my nova, not that its super expensive or fancy, its just that Id hate to ruin it hunting something I dont hunt all that much. and for less than 200 bucks, I cant buy a replacement barrel for either my nova or 870.

and if I do, what do you duck hunters think, 20 or 12.  Ive pretty much switched back to the 20ga for everything but predators, and i think the 20ga would be plenty of medicine for ducks, but like I said, I dont shoot hardly any steel and dont know if the 12 may be better.

Thanks

Dave

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: pardner pumps
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:26:24 AM »
I've been duck hunting and shooting steel shot in my 1100 since it became the law to use it with no problems or damage to my gun.  What I have found though is you don't need as tight of a choke with steel as you do for lead.  Modified is about as tight as you need. I wouldn't hesitate to use your Nova.  As far as 12 gauge or 20, I would use the 12, unless you're shooting decoyed ducks at close range. The extra range of the 12 comes in very handy especially with steel shot.  I bought a Parder Protector a couple of years ago and they are very good guns. I have had no problems with it.
Hope this helps.
Tony212

Offline JRW209

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: pardner pumps
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »
The only Barrel that steel will wreck is an old damascus one and your nova definitely doesnt have one. Go with the 12, you can do it with the 20 but having the 12 is just a bit more insurance.