Author Topic: Making A BB Mortar  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Making A BB Mortar
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
Smokemjoe,
Thanks for the build progress to finish, and action photos of your BB mortar; good thread!

Douglas; the photos that are in your posts are all opening as thumbnails.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline smokemjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
I would cut the chamber loose and fit it inside the tank.  Weld the trunnion bar and the bottom of the chamber to the tank.  Before you put the chamber in side drill and tap the vent for a tube that will go from the chamber to the out side of the tank.  

If the chamber was inside, you could then inlet the base to hold the barrel at 45 dgrees and have no need for an elevator.  I predict the elevator bracket you have is going to bend or break.

DD : We have fired the mortar 12 times with 14-16 pound balls with loads that put the ball out to 300  yards plus,  The spring on the screw works great .

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 06:44:51 PM »
I would cut the chamber loose and fit it inside the tank.  Weld the trunnion bar and the bottom of the chamber to the tank.  Before you put the chamber in side drill and tap the vent for a tube that will go from the chamber to the out side of the tank.  

If the chamber was inside, you could then inlet the base to hold the barrel at 45 dgrees and have no need for an elevator.  I predict the elevator bracket you have is going to bend or break.

DD : We have fired the mortar 12 times with 14-16 pound balls with loads that put the ball out to 300  yards plus,  The spring on the screw works great .

I still say it will break...that's a challenge you know,  Now you have go shot your cannon and prove me wrong.   ;D