Author Topic: Any Opinions ???  (Read 1561 times)

Offline creekbear

• Trade Count: (1)
Any Opinions ???
« on: September 06, 2007, 02:59:52 AM »
I have decided on buying a new 22 lr for a carry-all-shoot-anything  truck gun . I went to the local gunstore and found a remington 597 ss syn i can pick up for $150 or a ruger 10/22 ss syn for about $200. I have done some reading and am wondering if the ruger is all that much greater than the remmy ? I don't plan on customizing the gun so don't care that the ruger has about a gazillion options for it. I can get a 30 round clip for the remmy now so that is plenty for me . Any and all opinions welcome.

Creekbear

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: Any Opinions ???
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:56 PM »
I don't have any experience with the Remington.   I do with the 10-22 and can recommend it as a viable choice.  Also, you may want to take a look at the Marlin Mod 60.   

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:32:15 AM »
I also am a big fan of 10/22s.  I have no experience first had with the Remington mentioned, but have heard lots of complaints about the early ones.  I hope they got the problems fixed.  I am one of the few that wouldn't give two nickles for a Marlin 60 after all the grief I had from the one I used to own, but many like them.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 02:37:27 AM »
As much as I like Remington guns the 597 is not one of them. They seem to have way more than their fair share of problems and I'd advise against buying one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 03:22:54 AM »
I was gifted one of the first Remmy 597's. It had too many problems. I am not a huge 10/22 fan either. The stock triggers can be awful. Other than that they are fine guns. If you are set on a semi auto I would get a Marlin Model 60. I personally like the one with the tube magazine, but they can be had with a detachable mag. Another option, if your not set on a semi, is the Henry H001 Lever Action. A very fun little gun. The Marlin is under 200.00, the Henry is just over 200.
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 04:28:56 AM »
I guess I'm not that much of a fan of semiauto .22LR rifles when it gets rat down to it. The Ruger seems a pretty good base to begin building from but by the time you make it what it should be or what you want it to be you've usually got a ton of money tied up in them. I've never owned one but have been tempted to get one and make it into what I'd want it to be a few times. But not being much of a semiauto fan it has just never happened.

I do like the old Remington Nylon 66 rifles and would never want to be without one. They are fun plinkers and actually quite accurate generally speaking. I've owned but never was fond of the Speedmaster 552 by Remington. Those I've been associated with weren't very accurate and didn't seem to feed and function all that well.

The little Browning semiauto seems a nice enough gun and I think they are still being made in Japan and also in China. I have one of the ones made in China I picked up intending it for my wife but she's only 4' 11" and the stock is just too long for her to use and since the magazine is in the buttstock I guess cutting it to fit her isn't very practical. It will likely be sold or traded off without us ever firing it as a result. But I do like the feel and look of the little gun and if I wanted a semi auto other than my Nylon 66 I might would just keep and use it. Most likely what I'll do is list it on the GBO Classifieds one of these days if I ever get my "Round tuit" to do so.

I guess that I'm not really aware of a semiauto 22LR these days I'd highly recommend for use as is. The Marlin is the most sold one in existence. I've read that more of them have been sold than any other single gun period, dunno how factual that is but I have read it. There have been a lot sold.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bscman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 07:38:02 AM »
No No NO!!! On the remmy 597.
Their have a LONG list of problems very failures to feed to firing out of battery. Bad news, IMHO.

The 10/22 is a great piece....not all that accurate out of the box, but for a another hundred or so you can made a sweet shooting little semi-auto.

My choice, for out of the box semi-auto, is the Marlin model 60. Probably the most accurate semi auto in the price range, uber reliable, and TONS of repalcement parts available--only downfall is the aftermarket crowd isn't as large as it is with the 10/22.

IMHO, I'd rather have a bolt gun anyway.

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 03:09:04 PM »
Go to RimfireCentral.com and read the negative reports about the 597. I don't think much of the 10/22 out of the box except it is reliable. It can be made into a very nice rifle. How nice depends on your pocketbook.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 12:16:09 PM »
go with the ruger 10/22 they are good guns shoot well to
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 01:37:22 PM »
i don't think much of semi auto i would go for lever like the henry or marlin that is my opinion

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 04:01:27 PM »
PLEASE DO A SEARCH! The 597 is garbage.  I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough.  My gun was bought in 2005, so it was a new one.  It was just as much a piece of junk as the old ones. There are some who say adjust the guide rods but they do nothing for the bad design of the bolt.  If you want constant misfeeds and stovepipes, jams, and hang ups, then buy one.  About the only use it will have is a tomato stake.  Many Remington repair centers are refusing to work on them.

Offline creekbear

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 02:41:04 AM »
Thanks for the opinions fella's, I think im gonna go with the ruger this time ,after doing a little more homework found that to many folks were having to modify their 597's . 

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 11:44:04 AM »
I know its an old thread, but just bought a used (really dirty) 597 last week.  With Federal and CCI, no jams or misfires.  Best group so far is about 2" at 100 yards.  I like the rifle a lot.

Offline kansas45

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »
My 597 is two years old now. After the inital break in & a good cleaning & adjustments to the guide rods this thing has never given me a ounce of trouble. I did replace the extractor because the orgional one fell out after about 10 rounds, but that's the only thing that happend. I use it for turtle controll in the ponds at the farm & it sees some range time. I have a 10X Super Sniper scope mounted on it. For the most part though, I would rather shoot my Savage MKII bolt guns for target stuff.
AMERICA........Love it or leave it!

Offline marine

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 06:34:01 AM »
  I have a ruger 10/22 that i have owned since 1999 and it has never given me a bit of trouble.  The mags are a flush fit which are nice for hunting.  I hate mags that hang below the action. I have killed alot of groundhogs and sguirrels with mine and the accuracy is just fine as far as im concerned.  I dont compete in rifle competitions though. 
  My brother had a remington 597 that was nothing but problems.  We shoot and hunt together so i hae plenty of experience with his gun as well.  I had trouble feeding and firing.  it seemed that the mag spring had trouble lifting the rounds.  if we left 2 rnds out of the mag it was just fine but who wants to do that?  after market magazines are just fine to use but then you have an added cost to worry about and there were still misfires. 
  I like older rifles anyway.  so i generally opt for used firearms. and there are plenty of them out there to be had for your $200 dollars.  that is the way to go and if you dont end up liking the gun most of the time you can get your money back out of them.  good luck with whatever you choose.